Search the forum,

Discuss what flue gas analyser ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Billy Bob Bob

One question we usually get asked is “What analyser should I get?”

It’s purely down to the individual. What are you planning to use it on? Oil? Gas? Cookers? Do you want to print off your results immediately or store them to print later? Would you be looking to use it to do tightness testing? Do you want to test flue draughts? And so on.

Most importantly, how much are you willing to spend? Up front and, further down the line, on calibration costs?

Below are a list of analysers with members comments, good and bad.

Kane.
“Kane for me, i bought a 455 last year, great bit of kit, just had it recalibrated cost £100.00 and back in 3 days , well chuffed, cost me £549.99 i had on a special offer off the nett, search everywhere chum before you buy, lots of sites on the nett that'll give you good prices”
“I've got a Kane 455. Used an Anton Sprint as well, but I prefer the Kane. Cost me £500 + VAT for the full CPA kit - analyser, printer, the full set of probes, etc.”
“Got a Kane 455 the whole shee bang (printer + all diff probes) from gas installers workmate website for a good price. Fixed price servicing and 5 year gurantee on CO probe was a good selling point for me, first ever FGA, been warned off tpi as a couple of lads got them and nothing but problems”
“I have the kane 455 and its very good. I also would like to say the testo ones are quite good but very expensive.”

Testo.
“I like the Testo better than Anton. But they all do the same job, so just get the one you think is the best value.”
“I'm looking to replace my fga this year. Past 3yrs I've put it in for service and it's cost me upwards £200 for cells each year!!! I'm sure that's a rip-off!!! Got a pal with an unserviced model exactly the same and we compared the readings on his & mine one day ... Virtually the same and he hadn't had it looked at for 3yrs! It's a Testo 325, by-the-way ..!”
“I've used a Testo & my current one issued to me is a v2. I preferred the Testo. Easy to use, felt better quality, was quicker with the readings & never gave me a problem. The only downside was the size & the massive box it comes in! The Anton looks & feels cheap, navigation is not as easy & it takes ages to settle. I got water in it & had to dry it out in the a/c for 2 weeks whilst I was.on holiday. The pump is noisy too, even before I got condense in it.”

Anton.
I've had the anton v2 and a tpi. The Anton is much better and would recommend it to anyone. It is expensive, but if you are going to use it alot then it is worth the money.”
“Anton sprint v1 for me,does what it says on the Google search easy to use had it calibrated at jml for 70 quid when it was a year old”
ye the anton is my prefered fga but heard kane is good.I did have a tpi but it needed new sensor after 6 month and was told it needed it again when it was sent for re-callibration”
“I have a Kane 250 and Anton v2. I prefer using the v2.”
“just had my v2 calibrated & cells, £285!. mate had his testo done £300. kane requires them after a few years, £200 odd. parts center say tpi, bg use them and any service and any required sensors all in @£56+vat.”

So there you have it. Financial constraints seem to be the biggest decider.

This should be left open for additional comments.

Read more: http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=157223#ixzz25sV3h2Ay

thanks to croppie for creating the info and thread

when your trying to decide what FGA you want you also need to take in consideration the cost of its calibration and maintenence. I would suggest you base your research over a 5 year period.

Every analyser will require yearly calibration but some will require the replacement of cells, filters etc..... so check what needs to be done to keep it working over the 5 years. For example the kane 455 has a five year cell life but if its yearly calibration cost or purchase cost is more expensive than say an anton then what saving you may make on the longer cell life may be lost in another area.

just something to consider when comparing prices.

The cell life span is something that you can not simply put down as a fixed life span. It depends on so many variables. There is storage temperature, CO concentrations, how careful the sensors get flushed or water just to name a few.
It just takes an old oil boiler where the house owners dad sets the combustion up by ear to cut your sensors life span in half.
Apart from the sensors you should not forget that nowadays Lithium batteries do tend to have a pretty short life span as well.
It is a bit of gambling. At the end it is down to personal experience and likings.
I have been working for years now with the Anton Sprint V2. And I like them. Before that I had a Woehler hand held. Which I possibly would have continued to use if I could have got it serviced with reasonable efforts.

you cant plan your cell life in advance of course but one that has an expected life of 5years over 1 or two years is something that should factor in your sums. If you base it on what may happen....... well dont buy one cus you may get run over tomorrow and not get to use it.

you cant plan your cell life in advance of course but one that has an expected life of 5years over 1 or two years is something that should factor in your sums. If you base it on what may happen....... well dont buy one cus you may get run over tomorrow and not get to use it.
My point was not so much that you should not take that in consideration at all. But you have to weigh. And some of the influences are purely how you treat the device. And you should not bank on the estimated life span at all as this is simply an estimate.
If you are gonna do services day in day out I would be very surprised if you would get even the best sensor way past 6 months.

For what its worth here's my two pence worth,

I felt the need for an FGA back in 2003/4 when I started installing Condensing boilers. I was convinced that I needed an instrument which was caperble of doing every task imaginable, fortunatly I saw an advert for Gas & Enviromental Services of Welyn Garden City.
I rand and spoke to a bloke called Keving who talked me out of re-morgaguaging my house and after asking me what sort of work I was involve with, explaineed the caperbilities of the Anto 2000Xt with gas leak and CO room test included in the package.

He laid out the costs over a five year period and was honist about new regulationd would probably need new FGA's as the years went by.

So I became the proud owner of an FGA which is regularly serviced calibrated by the company I bought it from and am very satisfied with it.

As time went by I had times when I doubted the readings I was getting so spoke to G&ES who checked it out and reasured me all was ok with the 2000Xt, but you know what its klie when a customer is looking over you sholder and you are trying to convince them their boiler is not running correctly, so, I now have twp FGA's as I bought the Sprint V" which gives me the reassurance of being able to stick a second probe into the sampling point and stick it to the customer(in the nicest possible way of course)

Some of us RGI's have a liking for particular makes, thats the way we are, but if you want good unbiased advice, competative prices, and a small company service give them a call.

I dont know if the Moderators allow this, and apologise if it breaks forum rules but their web site is;

Gas & Environmental Services Ltd

Tim

You can only speak from personal experience Tim. Mine's a Kane 455. Only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did is measure draught.

I have a regin (kane) and bought that cheaply , had this for 3 years , calibrate it every year and if it needed a new cell or major money spent on the it , i will just bin it and get another cheap fga .
You only need co,co2 and ratio ,if you have a gas sniffer and other features you have a bigger bill every year when you go for calibration !!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI Guys/admin
Could we put a section on hear so we no how much people are spending getting there FGA serviced. This way we can work out what FGA are worth buying ? There are often alot of question about FGA,s so this might help people in there selection.

An online reveiw from people on here that are using them and getting them serviced

Thanks Stu

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking along the lines do some fga cost more to run. Do some always need sensors and other such items replacing making servicing expensive.
This might help people with there selection when buying ?

Regards Stu

An online reveiw from people on here that are using them and getting them serviced

kane 455 is my preference,5yr without additional costs,sent it to kane for calibration yesterday and will be back on monday,£84+vat.

well chuffed,got analyser back with a set of new batteries/filters and a roll of paper for printer thrown in f.o.c.

which analyser can take a big dose of CO and not need to be sent back for re calibration? our anton sprints are absolutely knackered once thats happened it's a bit annoying =s once its said high CO's once it's done in, time to ring someone to fetch another one over

You can replace some of the sensors yourself in certain Testo models.

tpi rep was in pts last wk said they give 5 years warranty on the tpi and will calibrate and change sensors for £70 if it needs them. they just look cheap what are they like

hopefully will have to buy one of these soon,will have around £500 mostly used for servicing,quite like the anton flue gas annalisers. eany recomendations?

at our place we have anton's, I dont like them, when I got shown how to set up gas valves we gotta use an analyser, n if the new gas valve is set up wrong and burns far too rich it gives of an insane CO reading, and then the analyser if knackered, like really knackered, I don't know if other brands are better in that way

finding my 2 year old anton v1 is able to take a lot of abuse,find it great TBH easy to use and quite durable

Well people I went for the kane 455 cpa1 kit in the end and I must say very impressed.

Stu

Just ordered myself a TPI 712, will let you know the outcome.

I also got a Kane 455 a few weeks ago, I like it a lot. Would recommend to anyone

scared to switch my anton back on it went well off the scale the other day when setting co on glowworm and the battery ran out while purging :)

Kane now guarantee thier analysers for five years. They also guarantee the cost of calibration during the guanantee period.

I have used Testo, Kane and Anton, I prefer the Anton, got my first Anton about 7 years ago, replaced it for the newer sprint v2, when i needed more for other engineers i bought the v2's again, easy to use, durable, if I have any problem it is the length of time taken to recalibrate and get it back.

I have used Testo, Kane and Anton, I prefer the Anton, got my first Anton about 7 years ago, replaced it for the newer sprint v2, when i needed more for other engineers i bought the v2's again, easy to use, durable, if I have any problem it is the length of time taken to recalibrate and get it back.

Have you GES in Welwyn Garden City? They have a pretty quick turnaround :)

So if you're considering to buy an analyser, here are some facts which helps you decide which unit to go for. The main two analyser on the market are Kane 455 and Anton Sprint V2. Anton utilises electro chemical O2 and CO sensors which have a shelf life of 2 years and 3 years respectively. The O2 sensor will need changing after 2 years as it depletes whether the unit is in use or not. The cost of exchanging the sensors including a calibration of an Anton analyser is £175 +vat (today) and the turnaround is 7 to 10 days as stated but has been reported to take as long as they like it to take! The Kane 455 utilises infrared CO and O2 sensors which lasts 5 years so upon the sixth year, they need replacing.The cost of exchanging the sensors including a calibration of a Kane analyser is £145 +vat (today) and the turnaround is same day if you take the unit in yourself or 1 to 3 days if posted. I know which one I would go for, but here you have it, just thought the information may of some use to you.

I have only ever used a anton fga, never really had any problems, its an expensive bit of kit, and I would recommend it. [DLMURL]https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005DEXU1E/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=earnitonline-21&camp=1406&creative=6394&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B005DEXU1E&adid=1H8YMWWWHVDRPKMK757V[/DLMURL]&

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what flue gas analyser ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock