Search the forum,

Discuss What evidence needed for job vacancies if self employed? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
If you've been working self-employed, general domestic plumbing and gas work, but want to apply for vacancies with a bigger firm, how do you prove your experience, what do they ask for as evidence?

Most ask for 3 years experience for example but they tend to all use agencies to advertise. When you call the agency they don't know the answer and I haven't been able to get directly through to a recruitment team at the specific firms!

Cheers in advance for your replies

Problem is the plumbing and gas work will just say self-employed. So I still wonder what evidence they asked for. Otherwise anyone could they've been doing it.
Then you need to get creative bud employers only know what you tell them there's nothing wrong with being self employed it shows you have the skill set alot of companies want, you can work on your own , solve problems , keep good records , sort out materials , have good communication skills, are honest and trustworthy , if you the have the qualifications a clean driving record ? then your a very good candidate, its not a issue really its a plus not all tradesmen want the hassle of self employment especially when married or families come along they need a regular weekly or monthly wage and more freedom that a employed job brings aswell as other benefits normally a van , mobile phone . Holiday pay , sick pay a pension , bonuses don't see self employed as a problem it really isn't sell yourself mate to be a asset to their company big yourself up be confident don't put obstacles in your way if you want the job the go get it . Best of luck kop

Then you need to get creative bud employers only know what you tell them there's nothing wrong with being self employed it shows you have the skill set alot of companies want, you can work on your own , solve problems , keep good records , sort out materials , have good communication skills, are honest and trustworthy , if you the have the qualifications a clean driving record ? then your a very good candidate, its not a issue really its a plus not all tradesmen want the hassle of self employment especially when married or families come along they need a regular weekly or monthly wage and more freedom that a employed job brings aswell as other benefits normally a van , mobile phone . Holiday pay , sick pay a pension , bonuses don't see self employed as a problem it really isn't sell yourself mate to be a asset to their company big yourself up be confident don't put obstacles in your way if you want the job the go get it . Best of luck kop

Cheers :)

When you call the agency they don't know the answer and I haven't been able to get directly through to a recruitment team at the specific firms!
In the absence of more specific instructions I'd put the period of self-employment, trading name of your company and a brief description of the type(s) of work and skills involved on your CV.

Be a bit more specific than just 'gas work'. For example: domestic / commercial? Installation? Maintenance? Testing? Safety inspection? Size and scope? Etc.

Take along a set of nice 'portfolio style' photos to the interview. Ideally show "before / during / done" stages with you in view illustrating whatever skills they are looking for. Be ready to 'talk through' a project using your photos as illustrations. Make sure they show a safe and tidy work area and you're using the correct tools and PPE.

As above. A decent employer will know with a few questions if you have experience. I'd probably question you on gas pressures/ sizing or something else regs wise you should really have a full understanding of.

Reply to What evidence needed for job vacancies if self employed? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, So something may be slightly different to the usual posts and looking for some advise or whether anyone has been in a similar predicament and how have you overcome it. Iā€™m a wife of a heating engineer - who has recently started out full time (2 years ago self employed 15 years...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the industrial gas market. That ranges from installing cryogenic storage tanks, pumps and pipework to high pressure Hydrogen systems and bulk LNG. My work has...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a cold water tank this tank feeds six properties in a straight line below my property is on the third floor so in the middle. The job would entail...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've had a read of similar threads and am going through my own decisions at the moment. Spent 8 years at BG and currently work for a manufacturer earning around 40k. Fed up of doing 3 times as many jobs per day as would be reasonable for a self employed engineer and having to rush...
Replies
Views
Vacancies within our Plumbing Team at City College Norwich Full time, Ā£23.789 - Ā£34,606 per annum dependant on appointment An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the City College Norwich Apprenticeships Team. Due to rising Industry demand we currently have vacancies for full time posts...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock