Search the forum,

Discuss What does the boiler tell you.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Inspired by the Leaky Grant thread...I thought id punt this one about....When you get to a boiler/ burner, what do you see and what does it mean? Observations wont always be the complete or only reason, but good old fashion trouble shooting. For example:

Lopsided sooting around the burner hole on the chamber: burner seal knackered

Wet tidal marks on the turbulates: condensate blocked

Black or reddish nozzle stem: late ignition

Buzzing at start up: capacitor knackered/ motor seized

Inspired by the Leaky Grant thread...I thought id punt this one about....When you get to a boiler/ burner, what do you see and what does it mean? Observations wont always be the complete or only reason, but good old fashion trouble shooting. For example:

Lopsided sooting around the burner hole on the chamber: burner seal knackered

Wet tidal marks on the turbulates: condensate blocked

Black or reddish nozzle stem: late ignition

Buzzing at start up: capacitor knackered/ motor seized

your like the boiler whisperer... Sounds like you know your oil boilers!

Funnily enough I just had a text from me guv'nor telling me his grannies boiler was making an awful noise, he's on his way there and is it safe to run?

Dunno mate, phone me when you get there........

Sooty photocell, partially blocked flueways.

It's all about listening to the boiler as it goes through it's sequences, and you cxan't beat a good sniff of the flue gases.

I have long thought about producing a troubleshooting flow diagram for boiler faults. Worcester have a basic one in their manuals which could be expanded. Might have a look over Easter,

I have long thought about producing a troubleshooting flow diagram for boiler faults. Worcester have a basic one in their manuals which could be expanded. Might have a look over Easter,

Would love a copy of that if you get round to it, i need to get into more fault finding rather than just installs, defo gonna do some courses this year!

Seeing that it would be quite a bit of work to put one together I was thinking of asking for a small donation towards Yorkshire Air Ambulance provided it's OK with the mods.

Seeing that it would be quite a bit of work to put one together I was thinking of asking for a small donation towards Yorkshire Air Ambulance provided it's OK with the mods.[/QUOTE

well I'm game for that, been looking for something that would cover oil boilers a bit more in depth. I'll start you off with £20 if that's ok, just need to know how to send it.
stani.

Condensate on heat exchanger and baffles: Too much excess air.
Sooty flue discharge: Mouse nest in burner casing (really!) restricting primary air.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing that it would be quite a bit of work to put one together I was thinking of asking for a small donation towards Yorkshire Air Ambulance provided it's OK with the mods.

Great idea. Count me in.

I think this would be most welcomed by both newbies and indeed oldies.

Ya I would love this as I'm new to oil boilers and just passed the oftec course and I would donate through pay pal to you to pass it on if you wish

I have been on all sorts of courses with boiler and burner manufacturer most are free, you pick up some good tips from them but you cant beat tips from a good field engineer. In my early days I found it very useful to have an oil guru who you could ring up with a problem. All the tecky guys at the manufacturers only read off a flow chart, if you are very lucky you may get through to an engineer.
One other point is that it pays to know your boiler, some work differently but produce the same result. I went to an early grant combi, the previous engineer said that the 3 port valve had gone and he couldnt find where it was in the house, well he wouldnt do as they use a diverter valve with a diaphragm.

I guess the danger is that it would encourage more self diagnosis from custards where we can use as a guide. Need a separate forum for Oftecs...:)

fine with me

Good organisation mate, got a little disheartened by the northeast air ambulance when they wouldnt let me volunteer (im a qaulified aircraft technician/engineer). Id be willing to donte though mate

Would gladly support your efforts in producing something like this; sort out how you wish donations to be made and you'll get plenty of support WHPES. :iagree:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What does the boiler tell you.... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock