Search the forum,

Discuss What do you think of my plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 110856

I have a Baxi Duo Tec , fitted 10 years ago. No real problems until very recently. My plumber has serviced it every year and most recently two months ago. We put the heating on for the first time since about April just over a week ago. It wouldn't come on. Had no problems with hot water. Plumber comes out changes a part £100 fee. Next day the heating works but no hot water. Plumber comes out £40 fee. Hot water is a bit temperamental for a day, running hot then warm then stops altogether. Boiler starts making clanging noises. Never heard this before. Plumber says boiler system is now 'full of rubbish ' and he will contact Baxi. He says I may need a new boiler? This doesn't sound right to me. Can experienced plumbers please reply with advice.

This plumbing company was recommended and does work for lots local people. Father and son company but son now doing the work. I just don't think what he is saying is reasonable. I think he's contacting Baxi for advice.

If he has serviced it for ten years he must have some experience?

Have you asked him what he means by 'full of rubbish'?

Ten years is the expected life span of such a boiler and it may be time for a new one but you are entitled to a professional opinion to help you make an informed decision on the next move.

If he is not offering you the help you need I think you would be better off with another Heating Engineer.

It's not unusual to ask the manufacturer for advice, if he suggests the the boiler is beyond ecconomic repair get a second opinion or ask Baxi.

Have you any idea of the parts changed?

Doesn't sound like a boiler replacement is necessary for what you have described.

I'm still waiting for plumber to call. The first part he changed was something to do with the boiler changing between hot water and heating. Think the 'rubbish ' he was talking about might refer to dirty water that came out of the boiler. This was relayed by my wife as I wasn't there. Just feel we have done everything right with this boiler, serviced every year, most recently about 8 weeks ago. What's the point of this if not to pick up problems. My parents boiler is 25 years + old and still going. They don't even get theirs serviced.

Boilers aren’t made to last 25 years any more mate(sorry to say) a service is only to check what is visible and to make sure that the boiler is safe. It is very hard to see what is going on inside the boiler.

I'm still waiting for plumber to call. The first part he changed was something to do with the boiler changing between hot water and heating. Think the 'rubbish ' he was talking about might refer to dirty water that came out of the boiler. This was relayed by my wife as I wasn't there. Just feel we have done everything right with this boiler, serviced every year, most recently about 8 weeks ago. What's the point of this if not to pick up problems. My parents boiler is 25 years + old and still going. They don't even get theirs serviced.
Boilers in this modern world are designed to last approximately 10 years depending on use. If you have had it serviced regular as you say, then you have done all you can do.

Things do eventually break down and the chance is that all parts on your boiler will be worn to the same degree.

I would ask the Engineer his opinion on the general condition and his gut feeling over it. You can always get a second opinion. Sometimes they are worth the repair cost but ultimately and in the not to distant future it will need to be replaced anyway. You should consider putting your money toward a new one. The recent batch so to speak, tend to have a long parts and labour warranty.

There are so many different makes and models of boilers and even with every single manual to hand you still may need to speak to the manufacturer as they dont put everything in the manuals. To try and stop homeowners fiddling.

Personally I dont come across many 10 year old boilers that need replacing but sometimes it happens, my way of looking at it is if you have had 10 years trouble free heating and hotwater it owes you nothing so I would look at replacing instead and get 7-10 years warranty on a new boiler have it serviced every year and start the cycle again.

The main thing that makes boilers beyond repair is the cost of spares. Manufacturers are having to make money back to cover the long warranties so they put that on spares.

You could get a second opinion and if it is full of dirt then you could get it flushed and filter fitted which could get a few more years out of it.

I really genuinely appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post. This will help us to decide what to do. So thank you.

I don't know it would have made any difference but should have added that it wasn't just the boiler that was 10 years old but the entire central heating system. It replaced the storage heaters when we moved in. Everything still looks brand new. I'll update the outcome after meeting with the plumber later.

I really genuinely appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post. This will help us to decide what to do. So thank you.

I don't know it would have made any difference but should have added that it wasn't just the boiler that was 10 years old but the entire central heating system. It replaced the storage heaters when we moved in. Everything still looks brand new. I'll update the outcome after meeting with the plumber later.
You have not mentioned that you have a filter fitted to your system or that the system has been dosed with inhibitor. If the case is no then before you operate a new boiler the system will need a good clean out
taking a day, then a mag filter fitted and inhibitor chemicals added.
Otherwise the new boiler will not last very long as dirty water will act like liquid sandpaper and the debris will rapidly clog up the heat exchanger and the warrantee will be invalid. centralheatking

IMG_0741.JPG
M
IMG_0741.JPG
yes it had the inhibitor

Never been drained. Have x5 big rads plus small rad and a tall towel rail. Plumber has contacted Baxi, think it's the manifold which can be cleaned?

Never been drained. Have x5 big rads plus small rad and a tall towel rail. Plumber has contacted Baxi, think it's the manifold which can be cleaned?
Has your plumber ever carried out the litmus test to check the chemicals are still up to strength ? This should occur every year at the annual service
I would be keen to know if
X100 lasts that long from a professional angle, 8 years is magnificent
if so and I will let Barnsey at Sentinel know if so...wether it will please him or not (sales) is another matter. centralheatking

Hands on heart how many GENUINE service guys here can say that the majority of 10 year old boilers that they see are kaput?. Add on those they don't see as they are working well. Unless there is an unrectified water leak having screwed up the innards most boilers are repairable. It is true that one has to question the sense of paying almost as much in a repair as a new boiler - but, having taken labour into account, how many repairs cost £2K, or even £1K. I changed my 15 year old Worcester 42Kw, but it would have cost no more than £200 for bits to repair it - but I decided to change everything to a system boiler and Unvented.

In truth, if a regular 10 year change cycle was realistic (and fair), I would not recommend spending hundreds of pounds (or thousands if on a service contract) over those 10 years doing basic servicing - what would be the point? And why would anyone even think of paying for a "premium" brand?

The truth is that a lot of boilers are ripped out because the RGI has not a clue about, or is interested in, repairs. Others DO fail early - often because of the filthy system to which it was fitted. IMO it is impossible to properly clean a system and fit the boiler in a morning, which seems to be a regular target, particularly by the bigger firms (most of whom do not actually employ the fitters)

Hands on heart how many GENUINE service guys here can say that the majority of 10 year old boilers that they see are kaput?. Add on those they don't see as they are working well. Unless there is an unrectified water leak having screwed up the innards most boilers are repairable. It is true that one has to question the sense of paying almost as much in a repair as a new boiler - but, having taken labour into account, how many repairs cost £2K, or even £1K. I changed my 15 year old Worcester 42Kw, but it would have cost no more than £200 for bits to repair it - but I decided to change everything to a system boiler and Unvented.

In truth, if a regular 10 year change cycle was realistic (and fair), I would not recommend spending hundreds of pounds (or thousands if on a service contract) over those 10 years doing basic servicing - what would be the point? And why would anyone even think of paying for a "premium" brand?

The truth is that a lot of boilers are ripped out because the RGI has not a clue about, or is interested in, repairs. Others DO fail early - often because of the filthy system to which it was fitted. IMO it is impossible to properly clean a system and fit the boiler in a morning, which seems to be a regular target, particularly by the bigger firms (most of whom do not actually employ the fitters)
I read all you say Firemant, and agree without reservation on all points.
A company I know has a 'museum' of all sorts of boilers going back ages and when the new fellas start they spend a few days taking them apart and re building them until the boss is happy. The oldest I have seen is an ELM le Blanc 4.20 combi . but that is rare We fitted those in early 80's. MOVING ON
Anyway my point is if people are no longer buying cars but leasing them on a 3 year basis why not apply it to boilers it is obvious
a standard template as exists just tug the stuffed one off and change
dead easy. if all the components are recycleable there is no issue

job done in an hour + or so plus the pump out and inhibitor
days work everybody makes good money. happy days
centralheatking. These people pay £1000 for a poxy phone and £4.00 for a tub of coffee every day and whine when we charge the 'normal' going rate. The Mullins ...Charlie and Scott at Pimlico might well have it right ....centralheatking

Last edited:

If someone goes to repair a boiler 10 years old or older quite often It can open up a can of worms for the gas installer ie water leaks some where else on the appliance and you have now inherited a problem you need to fix you may have given a fixed price repair so this is also the reason a lot of boilers are replaced as well because the engineer knows it’s not worth the potential hassle

I read all you say Firemant, and agree without reservation on all points.
A company I know has a 'museum' of all sorts of boilers going back ages and when the new fellas start they spend a few days taking them apart and re building them until the boss is happy. The oldest I have seen is an ELM le Blanc 4.20 combi . but that is rare We fitted those in early 80's. MOVING ON
Anyway my point is if people are no longer buying cars but leasing them on a 3 year basis why not apply it to boilers it is obvious
a standard template as exists just tug the stuffed one off and change
dead easy. if all the components are recycleable there is no issue

job done in an hour + or so plus the pump out and inhibitor
days work everybody makes good money. happy days
centralheatking. These people pay £1000 for a poxy phone and £4.00 for a tub of coffee every day and whine when we charge the 'normal' going rate. The Mullins ...Charlie and Scott at Pimlico might well have it right ..centralheatking

Thing is, though, and your post pretty much sums it up, a boiler is a practical purchase. No one WANTS to buy a boiler, the need is foisted upon us. When I had a shop, I did the gas work, my guy did the boiler. He did all the grunt work, I just did the good looking bit (apart from out the old Parkray ;) ). At the end of the work the punter oohed and aaaahed over the fireplace (well, it was always a magnificent job ;) ), and said how clever I was. My mate just got paid.

Mullins probably does have it right - aim for the clients that can pay, charge the earth, advertise the prices clearly so that no-one can really complain afterwards. (I do agree with the latter, and always have done the same.)

Anyway, it is odd that we value faffery above practicality. But I cannot bring myself to lease a car, I tend to buy a 1 year old motor and keep it for at least 5. Having said that, I pushed the boat out and paid £170 for a second hand iphone 7 - most I have ever paid. I never willingly go inside Starbucks/Costa and take a jar of Kenco to work - I have access to much hot water. The odd time I buy a TA coffee at work it is £2 from an independent cafe. Not that I am tight ;)

It also appears that those who can least afford it bow to their desires to get into hock for "things". How can anyone possibly justify £1K on a telecommunication device.? But, I forget, they come free with a contract.:rolleyes:

Thing is, though, and your post pretty much sums it up, a boiler is a practical purchase. No one WANTS to buy a boiler, the need is foisted upon us. When I had a shop, I did the gas work, my guy did the boiler. He did all the grunt work, I just did the good looking bit (apart from out the old Parkray ;) ). At the end of the work the punter oohed and aaaahed over the fireplace (well, it was always a magnificent job ;) ), and said how clever I was. My mate just got paid.

Mullins probably does have it right - aim for the clients that can pay, charge the earth, advertise the prices clearly so that no-one can really complain afterwards. (I do agree with the latter, and always have done the same.)

Anyway, it is odd that we value faffery above practicality. But I cannot bring myself to lease a car, I tend to buy a 1 year old motor and keep it for at least 5. Having said that, I pushed the boat out and paid £170 for a second hand iphone 7 - most I have ever paid. I never willingly go inside Starbucks/Costa and take a jar of Kenco to work - I have access to much hot water. The odd time I buy a TA coffee at work it is £2 from an independent cafe. Not that I am tight ;)

It also appears that those who can least afford it bow to their desires to get into hock for "things". How can anyone possibly justify £1K on a telecommunication device.? But, I forget, they come free with a contract.:rolleyes:
I am just like you, I lease nothing, I buy everything often for cash
on the nail, cars vans property and that includes day to day plumbing and heating stuff. all my accounts are settled by myself every Friday or
Saturday am each week ...I like meeting my suppliers they are my friends ....and my customers are ALWAYS are left in no doubt that it is
payment on finish after a reasonable deposit
but I have been around here for 20+ years and my boys ...old men now
live in this area.....we are going to,stop,next year and sell the busines
chking

Last update. Boiler is fixed. Hot water and central heating both working. Plumber says shouldn't have any further problems. So new boiler not required after all. He drained the system and fitted new part and fan. He didn't mention the litmus test. Total repair costs £310.

If someone goes to repair a boiler 10 years old or older quite often It can open up a can of worms for the gas installer ie water leaks some where else on the appliance and you have now inherited a problem you need to fix you may have given a fixed price repair so this is also the reason a lot of boilers are replaced as well because the engineer knows it’s not worth the potential hassle

The problem there is not the boiler but the business model. And, outside of a FPR, an inability to construct T&C’s to enable a professional approach

Reply to What do you think of my plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock