• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss What do you think of my plumber? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Homeowner24

Reaction score
I have a Baxi Duo Tec , fitted 10 years ago. No real problems until very recently. My plumber has serviced it every year and most recently two months ago. We put the heating on for the first time since about April just over a week ago. It wouldn't come on. Had no problems with hot water. Plumber comes out changes a part £100 fee. Next day the heating works but no hot water. Plumber comes out £40 fee. Hot water is a bit temperamental for a day, running hot then warm then stops altogether. Boiler starts making clanging noises. Never heard this before. Plumber says boiler system is now 'full of rubbish ' and he will contact Baxi. He says I may need a new boiler? This doesn't sound right to me. Can experienced plumbers please reply with advice.

Harvest Fields

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
If you are questioning your engineer. I would advise that you ask around friends and family and get one in that is recommended.

OP
H

Homeowner24

Reaction score
This plumbing company was recommended and does work for lots local people. Father and son company but son now doing the work. I just don't think what he is saying is reasonable. I think he's contacting Baxi for advice.

Last Plumber

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
If he has serviced it for ten years he must have some experience?

Have you asked him what he means by 'full of rubbish'?

Ten years is the expected life span of such a boiler and it may be time for a new one but you are entitled to a professional opinion to help you make an informed decision on the next move.

If he is not offering you the help you need I think you would be better off with another Heating Engineer.

gmartine

GSR
Reaction score
It's not unusual to ask the manufacturer for advice, if he suggests the the boiler is beyond ecconomic repair get a second opinion or ask Baxi.

oz-plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you any idea of the parts changed?

Doesn't sound like a boiler replacement is necessary for what you have described.

OP
H

Homeowner24

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for plumber to call. The first part he changed was something to do with the boiler changing between hot water and heating. Think the 'rubbish ' he was talking about might refer to dirty water that came out of the boiler. This was relayed by my wife as I wasn't there. Just feel we have done everything right with this boiler, serviced every year, most recently about 8 weeks ago. What's the point of this if not to pick up problems. My parents boiler is 25 years + old and still going. They don't even get theirs serviced.

Harvest Fields

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Boilers aren’t made to last 25 years any more mate(sorry to say) a service is only to check what is visible and to make sure that the boiler is safe. It is very hard to see what is going on inside the boiler.

Last Plumber

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for plumber to call. The first part he changed was something to do with the boiler changing between hot water and heating. Think the 'rubbish ' he was talking about might refer to dirty water that came out of the boiler. This was relayed by my wife as I wasn't there. Just feel we have done everything right with this boiler, serviced every year, most recently about 8 weeks ago. What's the point of this if not to pick up problems. My parents boiler is 25 years + old and still going. They don't even get theirs serviced.
Boilers in this modern world are designed to last approximately 10 years depending on use. If you have had it serviced regular as you say, then you have done all you can do.

Things do eventually break down and the chance is that all parts on your boiler will be worn to the same degree.

I would ask the Engineer his opinion on the general condition and his gut feeling over it. You can always get a second opinion. Sometimes they are worth the repair cost but ultimately and in the not to distant future it will need to be replaced anyway. You should consider putting your money toward a new one. The recent batch so to speak, tend to have a long parts and labour warranty.

Millsy 82

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
There are so many different makes and models of boilers and even with every single manual to hand you still may need to speak to the manufacturer as they dont put everything in the manuals. To try and stop homeowners fiddling.

Personally I dont come across many 10 year old boilers that need replacing but sometimes it happens, my way of looking at it is if you have had 10 years trouble free heating and hotwater it owes you nothing so I would look at replacing instead and get 7-10 years warranty on a new boiler have it serviced every year and start the cycle again.

The main thing that makes boilers beyond repair is the cost of spares. Manufacturers are having to make money back to cover the long warranties so they put that on spares.

You could get a second opinion and if it is full of dirt then you could get it flushed and filter fitted which could get a few more years out of it.

OP
H

Homeowner24

Reaction score
I really genuinely appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post. This will help us to decide what to do. So thank you.

I don't know it would have made any difference but should have added that it wasn't just the boiler that was 10 years old but the entire central heating system. It replaced the storage heaters when we moved in. Everything still looks brand new. I'll update the outcome after meeting with the plumber later.

centralheatking

Reaction score
I really genuinely appreciate everyone who has taken the time to post. This will help us to decide what to do. So thank you.

I don't know it would have made any difference but should have added that it wasn't just the boiler that was 10 years old but the entire central heating system. It replaced the storage heaters when we moved in. Everything still looks brand new. I'll update the outcome after meeting with the plumber later.
You have not mentioned that you have a filter fitted to your system or that the system has been dosed with inhibitor. If the case is no then before you operate a new boiler the system will need a good clean out
taking a day, then a mag filter fitted and inhibitor chemicals added.
Otherwise the new boiler will not last very long as dirty water will act like liquid sandpaper and the debris will rapidly clog up the heat exchanger and the warrantee will be invalid. centralheatking

Harvest Fields

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Has it been drained down at all since the boiler was fitted? How many rads do you have?

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.