Search the forum,

Discuss What did i do wrong? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

15878267478982688746538566570112.jpg

So, first plumbing job in years, bought solder, flux and MAP gas as shown.
15mm copper pipe, shined up, fluxed, absolute failure!
I'm a sparks by trade and solder a lot but not with a flame.
Am I right to assume map is far to hot for an amateur to work with, I cooked the pipe!
Advice where I'm going wrong please, I cant afford a plumber!
Cheers.
Paul.
[automerge]1587827746[/automerge]
15878267478982688746538566570112.jpg

So, first plumbing job in years, bought solder, flux and MAP gas as shown.
15mm copper pipe, shined up, fluxed, absolute failure!
I'm a sparks by trade and solder a lot but not with a flame.
Am I right to assume map is far to hot for an amateur to work with, I cooked the pipe!
Advice where I'm going wrong please, I cant afford a plumber!
Cheers.
Paul.

As a follow up, these bits are for a shower mixer, can I use JG speedfit for the link to the shower head with the supplied compression fitting or must I use a plastic fitting?
15878276330514437517376217211686.jpg

Last edited:
Is it going to get complicated and require bits?
I struggle to get out obviously at the mo.
Is it better to use copper and teach myself how to set copper pipe or is there an easy way to use the plastic?
Cheers

Too hot, way too hot. Mapps fine, it's all I use but turn your flame down and keep pulling away from work and test with solder. Get yourself some lead free solder as well if you're working on potable water.

That's a super seal insert you've used on the speed fit. Not suitable for compression fittings and wont be covered by warranty if it all goes breasticles up.

Too much heat with the soldering. And the top shower connection
looks like it needs a swivels connector or a female adapter. It hasn't got a machine face for the compression ring.
[automerge]1587831055[/automerge]
Plus that’s leaded solder and mustn’t be used on potable water. You need lead free.
you will have better results with lead free solder too.

Sharp Stanley blade and cut the top side of the oring

Attachments

• 6AF415F3-46B1-47EB-876D-31D8E6B7FB2D.jpeg
    6AF415F3-46B1-47EB-876D-31D8E6B7FB2D.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 58
Found enough plastic fittings and non return shut off valves, not sure how much support these pipes need, would one clip for the head feed and one clip above each shut off valve be about right?

Attachments

• 15878377000135251715169090289359.jpg
    15878377000135251715169090289359.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 65
View attachment 43546Second go with less heat, not good enough but I'll persevere.
Thanks for advice!
Rather than apply the heat to the joint run the flame from say 1inch away accross the whole peice from inch away. Gently build the heat up until the solder just runs freely. Mapp gas gets up to 1600c and needs carefull experienced application. Go get a micky mouse diy propane To compare and start teaching yourself it’s a good skill to have. The opposite is butane in a cold house in mid winter took ages. Centralheatking

I tried as advised with the MAPP torch on the lowest flame it would stay lit with and had much better results, still not getting good solder flow but much better.
I just did a set in 15mm to replace the plastic feeding the shower head as it sticks out to far, not as good as my sparky tube but ok for a first go!

Is it blobbing or sucking into the joint ?

Both!
I think I need to shine the tube further past the fitting and use more flux!

Are you cleaning both the fitting and the tube as for flux just a light coat all the way round the tube is more than enough

Plenty of flux on it and make sure its 100% clean. Plenty of practice as well. 👍👍
I'm gonna get plenty of practice, five bed new build, done 150sq m underfloor heating downstairs now starting on the showers!
[automerge]1587844473[/automerge]
Are you cleaning both the fitting and the tube as for flux just a light coat all the way round the tube is more than enough
Yep, shining them up but maybe I need to shine the pipe more outside the fitting.
I'll get there with help!

It could be you have the flame too small now and all the flux is burning off before your adding the solder try turning the heat up a smidge maybe 1/3 of a turn on the valve

also Your using leaded solder switch to unleaded as you can’t use lead on water pipes these days

It could be you have the flame too small now and all the flux is burning off before your adding the solder try turning the heat up a smidge maybe 1/3 of a turn on the valve

also Your using leaded solder switch to unleaded as you can’t use lead on water pipes these days
I will try that tomorrow.
Cheers.

Luggsey dont use plastic to connect the shower up remember once its covered over your screwed if it leaks and looking at that first attempt your 50 50 at best bud sorry to p_ss on your parade but i wouldnt want ya to have failures down the line 😂. Its really not that difficult to do in copper just add a few more noggings where you can screw a few brackets to, do the bracketing first clip ya copper pipes in they are easily removed for measuring a kick or set i have added a few pictures below of ones i have done how not to do aswell soldering is something that comes with practice and you really dont need loads of flux or heat clean the pipe with a cleaning pad if using brand new fitting theres no need to clean inside them , the flux only goes on the pipe a light smear is all thats needed and twist the fitting on to the pipe as you push it on swipe away the excess flux with a cloth apply a gentle heat and dab the solder on the joint when its hot enough you will see the solder run and be sucked into the joint (capillary action) always wipe the joint to clean off any runs and work tidy let it cool naturally then shine up with the cleaning pad.
[automerge]1587891583[/automerge]
Plenty of tips and how to do it on you tube bud

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200426-090807_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-090807_Photos.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20200426-091008_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-091008_Photos.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20200426-090509_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-090509_Photos.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20200426-090536_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-090536_Photos.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200426-090547_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-090547_Photos.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20200426-091409_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-091409_Photos.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_20200426-095718_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20200426-095718_YouTube.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Yep, shining them up but maybe I need to shine the pipe more outside the fitting.
I'll get there with help!
Luggsey dont use plastic to connect the shower up remember once its covered over your screwed if it leaks and looking at that first attempt your 50 50 at best bud sorry to p_ss on your parade but i wouldnt want ya to have failures down the line 😂. Its really not that difficult to do in copper just add a few more noggings where you can screw a few brackets to, do the bracketing first clip ya copper pipes in they are easily removed for measuring a kick or set i have added a few pictures below of ones i have done how not to do aswell soldering is something that comes with practice and you really dont need loads of flux or heat clean the pipe with a cleaning pad if using brand new fitting theres no need to clean inside them , the flux only goes on the pipe a light smear is all thats needed and twist the fitting on to the pipe as you push it on swipe away the excess flux with a cloth apply a gentle heat and dab the solder on the joint when its hot enough you will see the solder run and be sucked into the joint (capillary action) always wipe the joint to clean off any runs and work tidy let it cool naturally then shine up with the cleaning pad.

Cheers, I can take criticism ok, that's what I need to help me improve things.
I spent the last half hour before dark bending up a bit of copper to go direct to the shower head without joins so that's the way I will do the rest of the showers.
I have three more showers to do so lots to learn!
I have plumbed a house in plastic before and found it a stress free experience, i know most plumbers frown on plastic, preferring copper, each to their own ability I suppose.
Paul.

We will help you out where we can mate but please change those tap connectors they are compression fittings on the shower valve and Just need a short section of copper a nut and olive tiny smear of paste assemble and tighten you can then adapt to plastic with the appropriate fitting . Regards kop

I had a rethink and used copper, looks better to me!
15879069660826773073687269568433.jpg

Always a pain to fit isolation valves and access them but its a water regulation and must be done, in a new build I like to manifold everything that way every water outlet can have its own isolation valve and fewer fittings. Kop

Will the isolation valves be accessible when you put up the plaster board?
I was going to fit the plastic framed access panel to do that, trying to work it where I know furniture will be.
Kop if I used a manifold I thought it would leave many cold legs and I have set up a comfort pump so couldn't do it that way?

Why ? It's no different all your pipework will have water in , I think you mean dead legs bud ? not really a issue in a medium size house, a secondary pump can be fitted if you want this circulates hot water to the points of use in your home usually Via a timed pump but obviously it involves extra pipework. Regards kop

Reply to What did i do wrong? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Short version: I have about 4" of pipe sticking out of a concrete floor in a cupboard. It makes a 45-degree bend as it exists (bent, not with elbows), the last cm before the open end is pretty much straight, but as a result of the bend it is not perfectly round. I mean it is pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm in middle of my bathroom renovation and about to connect up the shower valve. Thus far I've run all copper but would you recommend I use soldered to 1/2 adapters in to the valve or compression fitting to 1/2? Obviously I'd need to pre-solder the adapter before installing the 1/2...
Replies
Views
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to be able to learn some things as well as contribute as best I can. This might seem like an odd query, but I need to determine what kinds of plumbing pipes I have, and approximately what percentage of each type. I'd appreciate any help with this...
Replies
Views
I continually read 1/2 inch imp copper pipe is same as 15mm... that being the case why are B and Q selling 15mm -1/2 inch imp copper coupling adaptors? I find 15mm copper fittings quite difficult to fit on 1/2 inch copper pipe so much so I will buy 15mm to replace it Does Powerfow flux go off...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
We have an outside tap that is about 50 years old and has just literally exploded. (Fortunately, I had already fitted an isolation valve when we moved in.) I am going to have to saw the tap off. This will leave too little copper pipe poking through the wall to fit a new tap. So I am going to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock