Search the forum,

Discuss What could be causing a noise in the house like a fog horn? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, We live in a bungalow. We are awaiting a plumber to check for water hammer but not sure if there are other things that may be causing the noises in our property. There is a booming noise about every 10 seconds followed by an echo. It starts at random times during the day and continues well into the night if not all night. We had solar panels fitted last year along with a ventilation system all up in the loft where we can't see it. We are all electric and use our own plug in heaters rather than the night storage heaters. The cold water gushes out of the taps but there is no spluttering and this noise does not seem related to using anything to do with the plumbing. However could it still be coming from the pipes?

Hello Patricia,

Firstly check your toilet filling valve(s), if the older delchem washer type, then this can produce a loud vibrating noise throughout. Also, do any of your taps drip?

Did the noise start after the ventilation system was installed, if so get them back.
Yes but what part of the ventilation system could it be? It only started a few months ago not from straight after the vent. system was put in. I don't think it's the toilet because it's not just on flushing and started this morning before the toilet had been flushed.

Try turning your stopcock off at the mains and don’t use any water, and see if it still happens.

I suspect there maybe some backflow preventers/ non return flaps in the ventilation system that are moving around, maybe from wind outside?

Or noise from the ventilation fan, something may have come loose.

Try turning your stopcock off at the mains and don’t use any water, and see if it still happens.

I suspect there maybe some backflow preventers/ non return flaps in the ventilation system that are moving around, maybe from wind outside?

Or noise from the ventilation fan, something may have come loose.
We are council so have to wait for a plumber to do the water side of things. I've just arranged for the vent. system to be checked out. Thanks for answering...

Reply to What could be causing a noise in the house like a fog horn? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock