Search the forum,

Discuss What components do I need for a remote outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

magicdrshoon

Hi.

I would like to have an outside tap by my greenhouse a the bottom of the garden, around 30 meters from the current outside tap.

I have looked into how to have this done properly (i.e. burying the pipe 750mm deep etc.) and decided that I'm not prepared to pay the price. I would have to cut through pattern imprinted concrete to get from the outside tap to the lawn, plus the effort of digging the trench without a digger (no access).

Instead, I would like to run a length of good quality 3/4 hose around the perimeter of the garden to the green house, and connect it to an outside tap fitted to a stake in the ground. I'd like the supply side of this tap to have a male Hozelock connector fitted so that I can put the hose away in the winter (it won't be required over the winter).

I had envisioned using plastic rigid (ish) pipe coming from the supply side of the tap, running down the stake with an elbow at the bottom, and the male Hozelock fitted to the elbow.

I'm having trouble finding the right components. I can't find the right component to fit plastic pipe to the supply side of the tap, and the right component to allow me to fit a male Hozelock to the plastic pipe.

I'm not really sure why, but in my research of plastic pipe and connectors, I get a good feeling with the John Guest stuff, although I don't really care which brand I use. It'd be handy if I could buy all the components from the same suppler.

Would someone be able to help identify part numbers and suppliers for what I would need please? I have a Screwfix down the road, or any online supplier would do.

Thanks in advance!

I've spent all day looking at this! Please help before I go mad!

Would it potentially be easier to just mount a hoselock fitting on the stake and actually have an outside tap installed correctly at the house. Just seems a lot of effort when you could have a twist on twist off fitting or a trigger fitting

Last edited:
Would it potentially be easier to just mount a hoselock fitting on the stake and actually have an outside tap installed correctly at the house. Just seems a lot of effort when you could have a twist on twist off fitting or a trigger fitting

and considerably cheaper too

I think it's about the aesthetics for me.

I do have an outside tap already fitted on the house, and I'm fitting another to the garage for this which will be more out of sight.

I've bought black hose so that it's not so easy to see in the border, and having it connect to a tap, in my opinion, looks better in the garden than having a hose appear from the undergrowth with a hoselock connector on the end.

It wouldn't cost that much would it? Am I being naive thinking it would be around ÂŁ30 for the components for the stake (aside from the hose with the female Hozelock connectors at either end)?

You don't need 3/4" hose unless you want to irrigate a field. This will do connected to your outside tap at the house and another one at your greenhouse.
Hose Yellow 50m x Âľ" | Garden Hoses | NoLinkingToThis

Turn it on when you need it and off when you don't and wind it up in the winter.

Btw your comments on JG made me smile for reasons that would take too long to explain.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I would still prefer the tap by the greenhouse.

So, what components would I need to fit plastic pipe to an outside tap, and a male Hozelock connector to plastic pipe?

Since you're adamant about this the easiest way of doing it you'll need
A 3/4" x 15mm female adapter (compression or push fit)
A 50m roll of the plastic pipe of your choice.
4 15mm inserts to suit whatever pipe you bought
A 15mm x 1/2" wall plate elbow
A 1/2" bib tap
A 15mm double check valve.

Figure out how it goes together yourself

Since you're adamant about this the easiest way of doing it you'll need
A 3/4" x 15mm female adapter (compression or push fit)
A 50m roll of the plastic pipe of your choice.
4 15mm inserts to suit whatever pipe you bought
A 15mm x 1/2" wall plate elbow
A 1/2" bib tap
A 15mm double check valve.

Figure out how it goes together yourself

Don't forget your full bore lever valve for isolation in the house

I have a similar set up. I have a black 1/2 hose pipe from my outside tap at the house (I have converted this to a double tap so I have another tap at the house). This pipe runs around my garden to the green house and pushes on to 15mm copper pipe with a jubilee clip to secure (you may need to put end of hose pipe in to hot water to soften to get on to 15mm pipe). The 15mm pipe runs up stake to backplate elbow and tap.

I have a similar set up. I have a black 1/2 hose pipe from my outside tap at the house (I have converted this to a double tap so I have another tap at the house). This pipe runs around my garden to the green house and pushes on to 15mm copper pipe with a jubilee clip to secure (you may need to put end of hose pipe in to hot water to soften to get on to 15mm pipe). The 15mm pipe runs up stake to backplate elbow and tap.

That sounds perfect. I've bought 3/4 hose, so maybe that will slide onto 22mm pipe with a bit of persuading.

I've now bought a hose union backplate which has what looks like a meter of 15mm copper attached, and a tap with a built-in double check valve (not sure if I actually need this as the current outside tap it's connecting to already has this). I think I'm going to drill a 15mm hole in the stake, put an elbow on and slide the hose over with a jubilee as you have suggested.

I may get away with using some 1/2 hose as an insert to the 3/4 to make it fit. If not I'll get some 22mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What components do I need for a remote outside tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock