Search the forum,

Discuss what can i expect from a 'free boiler' installation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi..

We have applied for and are having a 'free replacement' boiler under the government scheme.

They will fit a Potterton Baxi replacement (tank fed) and Plume kit? boiler exhaust outlet is close to a kitchen window apparently

I'm just wondering what to expect apart from draining the system and hooking up the new boiler.. My old boiler is an Ideal Classic LXFF & FF Fanned Flue Gas Boiler

appreciate your comments

To be honest, what do you want for nowt?

Depends who the company you've signed with have subbed it out to.

And do bare in mind that whoever arrives to fit it was the cheapest they could find 👍

Maybe update with some photos of before and after once done.

To be honest, what do you want for nowt?

Depends who the company you've signed with have subbed it out to.

And do bare in mind that whoever arrives to fit it was the cheapest they could find 👍

Maybe update with some photos of before and after once done.
Well it may sound like a complaint but it was purely to know what to expect..
Needing to clear rooms for him to access radiators etc

And no it isn't totally free to us either.
But thanks for your reply

Trying a bit of levity with the opening, Yorkshireman here.

How much you having to put to it and why if you don't mind me asking?

Trying a bit of levity with the opening, Yorkshireman here.

How much you having to put to it and why if you don't mind me asking?
I apologise..

The surveyor has a scale of approval.. He worked out out to £460 contribution.. I don't know the true cost of ' just a boiler' but I know we're getting more than we paying. I don't know what access he needs in various places.. Want to help where I can..I used to be self employed and know the difference between a pleasant customer from and an awkward one

Seems like your paying around half

as for access make sure all the rads are accessible and no unnecessary clutter is around, in the loft round the tanks are clear

Make sure they flush all the radiators and pipework... especially when they tick the box in the benchmark to say they have 😁

£460 looks like you’re paying the labour cost

I apologise..

The surveyor has a scale of approval.. He worked out out to £460 contribution.. I don't know the true cost of ' just a boiler' but I know we're getting more than we paying. I don't know what access he needs in various places.. Want to help where I can..I used to be self employed and know the difference between a pleasant customer from and an awkward one

No need to apologise. Probably didn't come across as I intended.

As for access pretty much same as above. Radiators, boiler and loft for tanks.

And don't sign anything to say you're happy with the installation unless you really are.
You'll struggle to get anyone back to finish off anything they've missed.

The Energy Suppliers pay for most of the costs, if not all.
I suspect the installers are either on a fixed price per unit and win some loose some or are on very tightly controlled costs so can't afford to make return visits (or risk loosing money).

And it's probably too late to query it but check the length of warranty, I was looking the other day and saw an advert from an approved Eco installer stating 2 year warranty on a Worcester boiler, it's normally 5 or 10 years.
I assume the Energy suppliers are buying direct and getting a lower price with less manufacturers warranty.

Last edited:
Make sure they flush all the radiators and pipework... especially when they tick the box in the benchmark to say they have 😁

£460 looks like you’re paying the labour cost

Thanks Stu-B Is flushing, when 'just' fitting a boiler, classed as a standard thing or up to the fitter's discretion? Would that mean taking the radiators off or hooking up a filter system (which I have seen mentioned here and seen on YouTube... some large magnetic device?)

I don't want to make waves if it is optional.. I don't like confrontation at the best of times... LOL

I don't like flying blind.. if you know what I mean..

Flushing the whole system is usually a requirement of boiler manufacturers warranty.

From Pottertons T&C for Warranty claims,,

11.Boilers which have not been:
Installed and set up strictly in line with the installation instructions supplied with them
(including the requirement to clean the system and add corrosion inhibitor in line with BS7593:1992); or maintained strictly in line with the maintenance instructions supplied with them; or where parts other than Baxi Genuine Parts have been used in any service or repair; or where the Benchmark checklist has not been properly completed

Last edited:
Flushing the whole system is usually a requirement of boiler manufacturers warranty.

From Pottertons T&C for Warranty claims,,

11.Boilers which have not been:
Installed and set up strictly in line with the installation instructions supplied with them
(including the requirement to clean the system and add corrosion inhibitor in line with BS7593:1992); or maintained strictly in line with the maintenance instructions supplied with them; or where parts other than Baxi Genuine Parts have been used in any service or repair; or where the Benchmark checklist has not been properly completed

This is really useful to know.. I suspect any boiler supplier would require this. You wouldn't change a car engine and put the previous engine's used oil in it?.. apart from the YUK!

This is really useful to know.. I suspect any boiler supplier would require this. You wouldn't change a car engine and put the previous engine's used oil in it?.. apart from the YUK!

When a replacement boiler is installed manufacturers require the system to be flushed to honor the warranty and hopefully prevent premature problems caused by dirty systems. It doesn't matter whether its a gas boiler, or oil boiler etc the system should be flushed. Depending on the original install and the state of existing system a flush could be a few hours, or it could take a couple days if larger than usual or incredibly fouled.

When a replacement boiler is installed manufacturers require the system to be flushed to honor the warranty and hopefully prevent premature problems caused by dirty systems. It doesn't matter whether its a gas boiler, or oil boiler etc the system should be flushed. Depending on the original install and the state of existing system a flush could be a few hours, or it could take a couple days if larger than usual or incredibly fouled.
This is great information!

I suppose it's up to the installer, how he does this job..

Grateful..

It’s a fat cat industry these days and right at the bottom of the pile is the boiler fitter, who is doing most of the work and getting paid the least. The firm who dishes out the work will be squeezing as much as they can from the fitter, I heard on the grapevine that these guys were getting half a days money per fit, so massive corners needed to be cut by them to in order to earn a decent living, first thing to go was flushing, second thing commissioning because let’s face it, if you’ve commissioned one then they’re all the same..... ish 😉

It’s a fat cat industry these days and right at the bottom of the pile is the boiler fitter, who is doing most of the work and getting paid the least. The firm who dishes out the work will be squeezing as much as they can from the fitter, I heard on the grapevine that these guys were getting half a days money per fit, so massive corners needed to be cut by them to in order to earn a decent living, first thing to go was flushing, second thing commissioning because let’s face it, if you’ve commissioned one then they’re all the same... ish 😉

will just leave this here

Attachments

• C1720301-BDA3-4528-AA03-7D30E2BC7B3E.jpeg
    C1720301-BDA3-4528-AA03-7D30E2BC7B3E.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 42
@ShaunCorbs that is disgraceful! Two boiler swaps in one day? Theres absolutely no chance of a thorough and professional job

only going to get worse with the eco grants coming down the line maybe

What the above doesn't say is the Candidates must also be conversant with Covid safe working and implement it, which of course will add time to the jobs. Unless that advert was pre Covid.

As this work is ultimately being paid for by the big Energy Companies I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to be using auditors spot check.
The last thing they want is bad publicity around Covid.
Local Covid lockdowns are likely to affect whether a job can be done or not.

It’s a fat cat industry these days and right at the bottom of the pile is the boiler fitter, who is doing most of the work and getting paid the least. The firm who dishes out the work will be squeezing as much as they can from the fitter, I heard on the grapevine that these guys were getting half a days money per fit, so massive corners needed to be cut by them to in order to earn a decent living, first thing to go was flushing, second thing commissioning because let’s face it, if you’ve commissioned one then they’re all the same... ish 😉
I'm worried now.. not sure what I'll be getting.

Everything crossed

I'm worried now.. not sure what I'll be getting.

Everything crossed

You won’t be getting any warranty that’s for sure
will just leave this here

It’s a joke, I bumped into an old pal in the merchants he was picking up his boiler to do on a scheme, said they never flush or never get to full temp to measure flow/return temps, he said the inhibitor went in then followed by about a quarter of a bottle of cleaner just in case the water was sampled for a warranty fix.

You won’t be getting any warranty that’s for sure

It’s a joke, I bumped into an old pal in the merchants he was picking up his boiler to do on a scheme, said they never flush or never get to full temp to measure flow/return temps, he said the inhibitor went in then followed by about a quarter of a bottle of cleaner just in case the water was sampled for a warranty fix.

yep no benchmarks/ valid results half of them arnt even registered

tec tite push fit on most pipe work

Wondering if I am courting trouble and should cancel..

What you think guys

aslong as you keep the points in this thread in your head then you should be fine

make sure they test the boiler with equipment probe should go in the flue they should do a range / gas rating and a gas tightness test and a flush at the minimum

well Collin came.. and soon started draining the system.... by 10:00 am the company asked for payment.. Collin wasn't pleased. I just said he hadn't finished yet.

I flushed it out with cleaner and then put inhibitor in about 6 months ago... I glanced over to see what colour the water was coming out and pleased to see it clear....

He started at 9:00 am and finished at about 4:30 pm. getting air out of the system was a pain.. boiler shutting down till the air got shifted. He was ultra considerate and gave us some tips on a few operational things...

I thought he worked hard and cleanly... I bunged him £40..

Any pictures of the final result? Did he check with a flue gas analyser? Did he fill out all relevant paperwork?

Sounds like your happy with the results 👍

Sounds like a good sort and good of you to appreciate his hard work, if he bothered to give you some instruction he probably filled out the Benchmark. Check if he has.

sorry for the late reply.. I took a few photos

He spent a long time filling out the paperwork with his measurements... I wouldn't know what they mean. From taking so much trouble with the install I guess he did that properly too.

The Condenser outlet piping took some time but it was a neat enough job :)

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_142345_3.jpg
    IMG_20200813_142345_3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200804_113022_8.jpg
    IMG_20200804_113022_8.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20200804_104552_6.jpg
    IMG_20200804_104552_6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 30
Update.. we were advised that an electrician would come back and check the wiring.. The gas fitter gave the impression that he would just fix his temporary mains cable into place..

Oh my god! We had a full test of the consumer unit, earth leakage, bonding, the whole house.. The works.. And he said it was an easy job.
Can't say I'm anything but impressed with the whole thing.
Dread to think what 2 -3 hours of an electrical engineers time is worth.. Or the actual job e did.

Last edited:
Hi..

We have applied for and are having a 'free replacement' boiler under the government scheme.

They will fit a Potterton Baxi replacement (tank fed) and Plume kit? boiler exhaust outlet is close to a kitchen window apparently

I'm just wondering what to expect apart from draining the system and hooking up the new boiler.. My old boiler is an Ideal Classic LXFF & FF Fanned Flue Gas Boiler

appreciate your comments
I remember seeing 'scheme' work put in 15 years ago, (Isar - icos) to me they looked like good installs. I suspect every job will be checked after so the engineer will have to do what's required.

Reply to what can i expect from a 'free boiler' installation in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock