Search the forum,

Discuss WHAT CAN I DO WITH THESE PIPES IN LOFT - Survey says DIY standard?! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All
Newbie so please bear with. We are selling our old house - built 1880. The purchaser has shared their survey report which states that the pipe work in the loft is of DIY standard. This was done before we bought house 10 years ago, and everything works fine but obviously I have to try and address this for the sale. I have attached the photos taken by the surveyor and his comments.

Here are the surveyors comments:
The majority of pipework is not visible as it is concealed within the fabric of the building. The PVC cold water tank in the main roof space is poorly supported and also requires to be insulated. Old lagging to pipework would also benefit from upgrading. The small header tank would benefit from similar upgrading. Exposed pipework is of a DIY standard and is likely to require some upgrading. You are advised to have the cold water installation inspected by a qualified plumber and obtain an estimate in respect of all recommended upgrading works.

Would be very very grateful if anyone could give advice on how to insulate the tank and lag the pipes. It’s so hard to get anyone to
come and look at the job. Do you think the pipes can be upgraded without significant upheaval and cost? The buyers have pulled out of the sale and I don’t want the same issue coming up when the next survey takes place .

Attachments

• 54A6BF6E-5EE6-4026-AB24-AE6C6BB418F7.png
    54A6BF6E-5EE6-4026-AB24-AE6C6BB418F7.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
  • F07D3B2A-B80C-4AEA-99F1-562AF60320B7.png
    F07D3B2A-B80C-4AEA-99F1-562AF60320B7.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Tbh need a sheet of ply 18mm thick and that should do it turn the water off drain via hot water tap eg big tank will be nearly empty once water has stopped running

Cut the 18mm ply 8” bigger than the tank all around and lift one edge of the tank and slide the 18mm ply under done the little one you should be able to do it without draining

Pipework is fine just make sure some fibreglass is over it

You can get tank insulation kits

There's worse work than somewhere or other that in practically every house in the nation. Have you suggested your buyers try Scandinavia? But, yes cisterns need proper support all as detailed by Shaun.

Reply to WHAT CAN I DO WITH THESE PIPES IN LOFT - Survey says DIY standard?! in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them? They are the pipes that feed water back into the top of the tanks when there is excess, presumably from steam, expansion, etc. The one going to the cold...
Replies
Views
I would like some guidance regarding the Worcester CDi 29 Classic boiler. According to the manual it has a holiday mode and frost protection mode for when away for a period of time such as a holiday, both of which disables the central heating system and both require it to be set manually. I have...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in the garage which is fully pumped to the TS, the system has two pumps both basic 3speed Grunfoss, one on the boiler return and the other on the CH flow...
Replies
Views
Hello. In this recent cold snap my loft has been getting condensation droplets form on the bitumen membrane. I had previously installed lap vents and minimised storage to improve air flow. The loft is well insulated apart form an area under the cold water tank. However my cold water tank is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock