Search the forum,

Discuss What boiler pressure loss is ok over time? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My Ideal boiler pressure gauge pointer shows about 0.85 when cold (about 1.8 when the heating is on).
10 weeks ago the readings were 1.0 when cold and 2.0 when hot.
Clearly there is a loss in pressure over time. I can see no leak on any radiator or near the boiler. Is this pressure drop of about 0.1 bar a month normal or do I need an engineer to look at it. A new sump was fitted 10 weeks ago which is when I started watching the pressure.
Thank you for any advice.

You would really need to know the E.vessel capacity and the prefill (air end pressure) and filling pressure. If you assume a 8 litre EV with prefill/filling pressures of 0.75/1.0bar then the EV will have a reserve of 1.0 litres when cold (at 1.0 bar), it will then lose ~ 0.4 litres (0.37) in falling by 0.1bar, to 0.9bar cold so 0.1bar/month or 0.37 litres or 4.5 litres/annum, excessive IMO. On the other hand if the prefill/filling pressures are the same then the slightest leak will lead to this pressure drop.

If you are really concerned about the pressure drop then wait until the system is cool again, note (again) the pressure, repressurize to exactly 1.0bar, open any radiator air vent and measure the amount of water that vents while the pressure falls again to the original pressure. A bit of a pain but the only way in the absence of not knowing the original conditions/pressures.

Is it still losing pressure?

You said the system was worked on and then it lost pressure, this could just be losing air through an automatic air vent and now the air has gone the system is stable?

0.25 isn’t much I would monitor for the next 6 months if it looses around the same within then it’s fine

British gas did their annual service and found a cracked sump which they replaced. It stayed at about 1bar for a month and now 2.5 months later its just below 0.9. It is really hard to see exactly as you can't look straight at the gauge, only at an angle from below but it's definitely below 1. You also have to tap the gauge to read it as it seems to get stuck when the heating goes on. I don't want British gas to come out unless there's actually a problem, I know some pressure loss just happens over time. Sometimes they seem to cause problems that weren't there before! Just don't know what to do for the best as don't want kids to be left without hot water as I didn't fix the boiler. Thanks for the help x.

Attachments

• DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 7

Reply to What boiler pressure loss is ok over time? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock