Search the forum,

Discuss What are these valves called and can I replace with gate valves? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, this set up in the attached image was what we inherited when moving in. The balancing valve on the 15 mm bypass and the isolator on the 22mm pipe emerging from the bottom of the cylinder heating coil are both dribbling in the circular recess where the square head sits. My intention is to replace both with gate valves, having a circular wheel on top. Does anybody think that is a bad idea, and can anyone tell me what type of valve the current ones with the recessed head are known as? Thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_173516344.jpg
    IMG_20201229_173516344.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 38
The vertical one is the bypass best swapping this with an auto bypass

bottom / horizontal one is to stop coil vibration/ to slow the speed of the water going through the hot water heating coil you can swap this for a gate valve or you can just right up the shield eg try tighten it up via the spanner flats on the shield part 1/8th of a turn if very tight best to replace

In answer to your question, they are gate valves with a lockshield.
The idea is that they won’t get altered ‘by mistake’ with someone fiddling. It takes a spanner to remove the shield first and so hopefully time to think about what you are doing!

The vertical one is the bypass best swapping this with an auto bypass

bottom / horizontal one is to stop coil vibration/ to slow the speed of the water going through the hot water heating coil you can swap this for a gate valve or you can just right up the shield eg try tighten it up via the spanner flats on the shield part 1/8th of a turn if very tight best to replace
Thanks, they are already pretty tight. the amount of pressure I had to applying to stop the balance valve dribbling was worrying. They were installed in 1996 so I think replacing them both would be in order.

The idea is that they won’t get altered ‘by mistake’ with someone fiddling. It takes a spanner to remove the shield first and so hopefully time to think about what you are doing!
Thanks, the balance valve dribbles and there is almost no further turn to tighten available. Do you agree with ShaunCorbs about replacing it with an automatic one?

Reply to What are these valves called and can I replace with gate valves? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock