Search the forum,

Discuss What are people using to fix lead mains... in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
What products are you using to repair lead mains? Philmac, leadloc or others.

Attachments

• 20220729_142735.jpg
    20220729_142735.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 19
Rod or bar of solder

I'm old enough to have wiped many lead joints mostly to put new stop on.
Solder was grade D turnpin to make flange clamps to hold it together wiping cloth tallow as flux.
Thank goodness now long gone!
Not sure I understand some of this message as parts of it name a user on here from yrs back. Turnpin.

Still got plenty of those in different sizes as well as the clamps, cloths, bent pins, lamps, dummies etc.
All museum pieces now.

Only lead work we do now is stone gutter caulkings and the odd flashing or a pipe repair.

Last time I spoke to a college tutor for Plumbing he told me they don't teach any lead work anymore!!
How can the new guys be Plumbers? 😬😬

Times change!

Last time I spoke to a college tutor for Plumbing he told me they don't teach any lead work anymore!!
How can the new guys be Plumbers? 😬😬

Times change!
Apparentl, when I sat my NVQ level 3, we were told then that they were no longer teaching lead-work in college, I asked what it was being replaced with, the answer was “renewable technology“.

How does renewable tech replace a lead pipe or lead flashings? Or did they mean new materials?

Fast fit flashing eg pre made unfortunately there’s no point in them teaching it as it would never get used with a combi slinger

Reply to What are people using to fix lead mains... in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
I need some advice please. My Baxi boiler went recently faulty. A Baxi engineer came and fixed it in 10 minutes, he said that the ignition lead was connected incorrectly. He said that although the boiler was working, it was struggling until it failed. The boiler was serviced 2 months ago by a...
Replies
Views
Hello all I have had an extension built which will have 3 radiators to the big main room, a utility sink and a shower room (ground works, waste, and pipes etc are in) The builder is not installing the sanitary ware as I will have to save up in order to fit the shower room in a few years time...
Replies
Views
S
I have a dead 1990s Triton T70 shower and, for purposes of replacement, I'd like to know if it's mains or gravity fed. As it won't even switch on, I cannot get any water out of it so I can't just switch off water at mains and see if water still flows from the shower. I note that current Triton...
Replies
Views
I have seen people speaking of this and others not understanding. I have a leak in my pipe coming from the main. Attaching a new 1/2" coupling to the 1/2" pipe (blue pipe) is a problem as the coupling is larger than the pipe although both are 1/2". Most people do not realize that there are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock