Search the forum,

Discuss What are my options with my bath? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I had a combi boiler installed 2 years ago. I now have leaking taps on the bath it’s leaking down the copper pipes making them green. These pipes are both 22mm and I get awful water hammer on the cold assuming that’s from the pipe going 15mm to 22mm!

The taps are at the back and centre on an external wall. Is removing the bath and replacing it with new taps/pipes an option?
Bathroom is fully tiled all over with no spare tiles.
really can’t afford a total bathroom refurb but something needs doing. Any ideas?

Attachments

• D6F31091-D21F-4C40-8A83-2BE605C783A3.jpeg
    D6F31091-D21F-4C40-8A83-2BE605C783A3.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 821B3397-D762-4C8E-A307-6A1D83418365.jpeg
    821B3397-D762-4C8E-A307-6A1D83418365.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 12
  • B63EB71F-EDC4-4F28-B4E2-26DE8DCC533F.png
    B63EB71F-EDC4-4F28-B4E2-26DE8DCC533F.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 10
Assuming that the two pipes which are visible under the bath are the ones which feed the tap.

You could cut a new tap/ pair of taps into the front right corner of the bath and feed it from those two pipes, in the process cutting off the feed to the existing tap.
The existing tap could be left in position, or cut off from above and tap hole stoppers siliconed into position from above.
This is probably the cheapest option.

It doesn’t look like there’s much access, so I’d be looking at access from below (eg cut a hole in the ceiling - if it’s viable?) to renew pipes, removing bricks - no easy task, or what Ben-gee has suggested.

Thanks guys. Didn’t think about a second set of taps but that might be an option. Going in from underneath would mean the ceiling and the bath under the floor being cut out as I think the previous house owner did just that hence our pipes seem to do a u turn.
[automerge]1601204329[/automerge]
Assuming that the two pipes which are visible under the bath are the ones which feed the tap.

You could cut a new tap/ pair of taps into the front right corner of the bath and feed it from those two pipes, in the process cutting off the feed to the existing tap.
The existing tap could be left in position, or cut off from above and tap hole stoppers siliconed into position from above.
This is probably the cheapest option.

Hubby is a very happy man right now at your idea!! Thank you have just well and truly saved our bacon!!!

Last edited:
Don’t clap, just throw money!

You’re welcome , if it gets you out of trouble then you don’t need to do major works until you want to.

If the pipes are too old just replace it because the chances of the leak are high. While you replace the pipes with new one consider some facts to avoid copper oxidation.
1.Install a calcite neutralizer tank, or a soda ash feeder to raise the pH to 7.0 to 8.0 to correct for low pH and increase the alkalinity in the water.
2.Install a phosphate feeder before the copper piping

Reply to What are my options with my bath? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock