Search the forum,

Discuss What age did you get in too plumbing and why? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone what age did you get in too the plumbing trade and why?

1973 apprentic gas fitter at BGNW British Gas north western applied for 3 jobs BG NORWEB AND BT got offered BG as brother was already there and they l8ked family’.

Started in 1967 aged 15 years 6 days!
4 year apprenticeship in those days but you couldn't sign indenture papers till you were 16.
So I did virtually 5 years .
I'm 5th generation building trade Granddads brother was a plumber never worked with him but did acquire his lovely leadwork tools.
My son is joiner by trade he runs a fitting out team mostly hotels/restaurants.

In terms of the trade, I started to get into plumbing age 28, I think.

But in terms of plumbing, I'd been DIYing stuff since a relatively early age. I definitely changed a part 2 float valve diaphagm 'washer' age 14, and it went from there, though that might not have been the first job I undertook and most likely wasn't.

I first considered the trade might interest me when, at 24, I had had three separate RGIs look at my own Potterton Profile boiler and none of them could explain why the boiler occasionally boiled and tripped out, nor why it was consistently running 10 degrees above setpoint. None of them actually investigated. I eventually got fed up with the so-called professionals in my area and did my own investigation in order to realise the boiler had been plumbed in backwards (for years) and was, thus, sensing the return and not the flow temperature. Funnily enough, I've never actually gone down the gas route and I'm still in two minds as to whether to bother or not.

Reply to What age did you get in too plumbing and why? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock