Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom screen leaking in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

So I have a question here and I’m completely lost, I had a shower screen replaced as it shattered. The fitter came and fit the new wall profile to the wall then fitted the glass and then sealed it with silicone. When I first used it it started leaking from the bottom corner as shown in the pictures. He came back and Re fitted class with new silicone and I allowed it 4 days to set. The same issue has happened again where is it leaking on the outside in the corner by the profile. Any thoughts on why this happens from the images? Much appreciated and help

Attachments

• 2E820DE7-2748-4B0C-899D-2890BF72A62E.jpeg
    2E820DE7-2748-4B0C-899D-2890BF72A62E.jpeg
    367.6 KB · Views: 46
  • C0C0C655-BD30-48CC-A4EC-1EDA2FDC7D85.jpeg
    C0C0C655-BD30-48CC-A4EC-1EDA2FDC7D85.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 95627026-1ECA-4DF5-9B94-02DF98C19013.jpeg
    95627026-1ECA-4DF5-9B94-02DF98C19013.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 46
Normally seal on the outside only and up the glass where it meets the profile abit

Tbh all of it from the inside needs removing as it could trap water if it gets behind

As Shaun says, no silicone on the inside.

Also, did he/she silicone the wall/tray joint behind the profile?

24hrs is sufficient to allow use of the shower.

am i correct in saying the outside should be sealed as per the attached image. As in along the wall profile between the profile and the tile down to the corner then across the bottom from the corner along the profile to the end of the glass? along with silicon inside the prifle where the class touched the wall part of the profile only? and then to not put any silicone on the inside of the shower, just seems like not enough silicone if its one bead between the glass and then wall part of the profile.

Attachments

• sealant.png
    sealant.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 35
Correct where the red line is on the outside

and at the bottom where the glass meets the chrome profile around 2” up from the bottom

none on the inside

Hi Shaun

thanks, so where I have marked the red with the arrow on the outside that should be siliconed? It’s leaking where it’s circles green ......

Then with the inside image, the blue silicone should stay? But the purple should be removed?

thanks for you comments

Attachments

• CBB0A593-15FB-492B-9954-EE77FD993210.jpeg
    CBB0A593-15FB-492B-9954-EE77FD993210.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 13B8FD3A-4FA4-4107-B364-8B03B8240C2D.jpeg
    13B8FD3A-4FA4-4107-B364-8B03B8240C2D.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 32
Yes your first image with the red lines is correct and your second image with the red line (green circle) also wants doing on the outside

inside wants completely removing of silicon

As Shaun says, silicone all your red lines no silicone for blue or purple.
The glass/profile on the outside I do 100mm, but I suspect 50mm is sufficient.

The reason yours is leaking at the green point is that water is getting inside the profile - this is designed to happen by the way- but because you have sealed inside the cubicle the water can’t run out onto the tray as it’s supposed to do it comes outside at the glass/profile joint in your green patch.
Sealing this area up 100 mm will stop it coming out this way, but removing the inside silicone is the most important step -as this allows the water to go back onto the tray and down the drain.

As Shaun says, silicone all your red lines no silicone for blue or purple.
The glass/profile on the outside I do 100mm, but I suspect 50mm is sufficient.

The reason yours is leaking at the green point is that water is getting inside the profile - this is designed to happen by the way- but because you have sealed inside the cubicle the water can’t run out onto the tray as it’s supposed to do it comes outside at the glass/profile joint in your green patch.
Sealing this area up 100 mm will stop it coming out this way, but removing the inside silicone is the most important step -as this allows the water to go back onto the tray and down the drain.

hi Ben

thanks, so the silicon on the outside should cover the gap between the glass and the silver profile where I put the red arrow pointing, is it ok to do this without removing the glass? As in just run the silicon up 50 mm. the guy was trying to say run it all the way up to the top of the glass for his third attempt to correct the job

And for the inside, yeh seems bizzare that the water will run freely out by removing the silicone along the purple line. So it’s ok that water gets into the profile but just needs to be able to escape at the bottom?

Thanks again

Does the glass come out of the profile normally there bonded in /sealed in

Bottom 50/100mm is all that’s needed - provided glass has been fitted into profile properly...

Looks like yours is the type where you screw the profile to the wall and then run a bead of silicone inside it and just push the glass in - that needs doing with enough ( but not too much) silicone and in a continuous bead with no gaps.

This requires a higher skill level than the screw together type or the profiles with integral rubber seals, but it’s within the capability of most!

Also with all profiles the little 25mm section between tray and tiles that is behind the profile is critical - this gets left out far more often than I can believe by shoddy workmen. This usually shows as a leak on ceiling below or wall backing on to shower.

And don’t worry, yes a single bead of continuous silicone on the outside is all that’s needed - last time - definitely no silicone inside.

I always seal the inside - shock horror! I don't think there would be any other scenario where you wouldnt seal the side that the water is coming from. I've never had one leak either.

Looking at the quality of the silicone work Id say that 'could' be the issue

Reply to Wetroom screen leaking in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock