Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom floor from scratch, tray or no tray. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Folks, I am building a wetroom from scratch, i am a very experienced plumber and bathroom fitter but amazingly have never been asked to do a wetroom before - I have watched a lot of videos on the subject and am happy to pay for and use a tray however it occurs to me that I am building a whole new floor from the exisitng joists which I will have to pack up to the correct levels anyway - would it be feasable to create my own levels using packed up 18mm caber flooring and 12mm marine overply which would then be tanked and tiled with the appropriate falls to the trap.
It is a ground floor job with good manouverability of the trap position. I am not trying to cut corners, I simply prefer this idea to trying to marry up a 30mm timber floor to a 30mm tray - this idea would cut out any potential weakness at the joints. Thanks in advance. ps I know there is an argument for hardibacker cement board instead of marine ply but i have used marine ply for decades with no complaints and tiled floors i fitted decades ago are still in perfect condition - i believe if you fit it properly and use primer then there should be no issues - in this circumstance it will have a 1mm tanking membrane. cheers.

Tray is cheaper and easier as it’s got all the falls etc

Tray is cheaper and easier as it’s got all the falls etc
I hear ya, side question would be.. a tiled floor will crack if there is no overlay of boards - ie if you lay down 22mm ply and tile that - you will probably get cracks along the join line unless you overlay it with minimum 9mm to strengthen the floor If you are butting plywood or even hardi backer up against a shower former - surely this is a weak joint that could easily crack even if the joists below are solid. ? this wetroom will have a wheelchair user, so those joints are going to get tested.

Last edited:
Depends on the floor if you can guarantee no bounce or movement you will be fine but belts and suspenders is to overboard with concrete board or marmox type cross boarded eg flipped 90 to floor boards

Reply to Wetroom floor from scratch, tray or no tray. in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock