Search the forum,

Discuss Wet room shower leaking - cheaper repair in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I'll start this by saying I'm hoping to sort this by diy / minimal professional help as I'm a very tight budget!

I've got a walk-in shower in a wet room. The shower has a tiled-over former with an additional ring of tiles around it. When the shower's in use, a drip comes through into the room below. The shower surround is 2 simple glass panels forming a L shape - these will easily come down & can be reused.
The leak doesn't appear to be from the taps/mixer (in the wall). So it's either the waste, seeping through the ring of tiles or I suspect the shower wall/floor join wasn't properly lined as a good dose of sealant slows the issue a little.

The guy who installed it wasn't a star performer - the rest of the room is tiled in thin ply - from the get-go I've had issues with grout coming up. I'm not going to get any help from him as it's been down 6 years.

My question: by coincidence I've spotted online a low-rise shower tray that's roughly the same dimensions as the shower area. It's got a flat rim just the right that I could put the glass panels on. If I put the shower tray on top of the current tiles - and managed to get the waste moved into the new position - how could I seal where the tray will butt-up to the shower wall?

There's obviously quite a few issues to sort here beyond the one I've flagged but the rest of the bathroom is as good as new - and I'm on a budget!

You would have to cut the tiles the same height as the tray and slot it into the wall for any hope in sealing it

You would have to cut the tiles the same height as the tray and slot it into the wall for any hope in sealing it
Thanks for that - it's the answer I expected - and didn't want!
The wall is covered with mosaic sheet so will be much easier to cut than the (very!) solid floor tiles. Issue I'll face is getting an angle grinder low enough to the floor.
Assuming I can take a channel out, what's best to seal it into the cut channel? I'd obviously want grout to finish it but what goes behind/under that? Would silicon be good enough?
And the would silicon be okay to sit the whole tray on - it'll be sat on the old tiles.
Incidentally, I'm hoping a (long!) retired ex-plumber is going to give a hand/keep me right but want to get my ducks lined up before I get him involved.

You should be ok getting angle grinder in there. Get a multi tool and diamond grit blade, will prob come in useful.
You said mosaics, so depending on tray height, might only need to take one row off.

Tray needs to be bedded down, either use sand/cement or tile adhesive.

You’re gonna need to remove tiles to get at the old waste pipe, so could possibly lay new tray down, mark around it. Remark taking into account how far the tray will slip under the tiles. Then angle grind the old tiles along the mark and remove old tiles. You can then sit the tray lower.

Before any of that, I’d want to prove the leak. Who knows, you may get lucky and could fix it a lot cheaper.

Connect a hose to the shower outlet that reaches the toilet. Run the shower for 15 mins. That proves the shower valve.

Then run the hose into the shower drain without getting the Wetroom floor wet for 15 mins. That proves the drain.

Then block the shower waste (I’ve previously siliconed a plastic board over it) and block off the high point of the tiled tray (I’ve siliconed down some plastic conduit). Then fill up the Wetroom shower tray (only needs 5mm-10mm). That proves the silicone/grout.

If still no leak, use the shower to spray the glass screen wall brackets. It’s rare they are installed correctly. You’ll find a lot are siliconed inside and out, when only mean to be out. Any water that gets in the channel, is then potentially able to get in the wall behind channel.

You should be ok getting angle grinder in there. Get a multi tool and diamond grit blade, will prob come in useful.
You said mosaics, so depending on tray height, might only need to take one row off.

Tray needs to be bedded down, either use sand/cement or tile adhesive.

You’re gonna need to remove tiles to get at the old waste pipe, so could possibly lay new tray down, mark around it. Remark taking into account how far the tray will slip under the tiles. Then angle grind the old tiles along the mark and remove old tiles. You can then sit the tray lower.

Before any of that, I’d want to prove the leak. Who knows, you may get lucky and could fix it a lot cheaper.

Connect a hose to the shower outlet that reaches the toilet. Run the shower for 15 mins. That proves the shower valve.

Then run the hose into the shower drain without getting the Wetroom floor wet for 15 mins. That proves the drain.

Then block the shower waste (I’ve previously siliconed a plastic board over it) and block off the high point of the tiled tray (I’ve siliconed down some plastic conduit). Then fill up the Wetroom shower tray (only needs 5mm-10mm). That proves the silicone/grout.

If still no leak, use the shower to spray the glass screen wall brackets. It’s rare they are installed correctly. You’ll find a lot are siliconed inside and out, when only mean to be out. Any water that gets in the channel, is then potentially able to get in the wall behind channel.

Some great advice thanks.
Someone also said to block the waste use a part inflated balloon.
Will try all these before I get the angle grinder out but do wonder how I can access the waste if that was the problem?
Are there any fixes I can do to a leaking waste from above?

Some great advice thanks.
Someone also said to block the waste use a part inflated balloon.
Will try all these before I get the angle grinder out but do wonder how I can access the waste if that was the problem?
Are there any fixes I can do to a leaking waste from above?
Maybe/maybe not. Depends where waste is leaking. Could be the washer creating seal between shower tray and waste. Some times possible to undo from above, push waste down a bit and remove/slip new washer in. Pull up and tighten.
That could loosen the trap outlet if compression and not glued.

Or cut hole in ceiling below....is there a below, can’t remember.

There might be some broken glass on there. Try glass repair Capalaba to repair any cracks or loose seals.

Reply to Wet room shower leaking - cheaper repair in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close to each other but didn't use any joint sealant. When I asked him whether this will be an issue for future leaks he dismissed it. How worried should I...
Replies
Views
I have a leak from my shower, it's coming down into my kitchen. I've had the sealant, waste pipe and tray all checked. I've also had the shower controls checked. Weird thing is the shower leak only happens when there's weight on the shower tray. The shower tray doesn't flex in any way, which is...
Replies
Views
My existing en-suite layout is awful. Tiny cubicle and very cramped. I had thought of loosing the large basin, for a corner basin or one in a toilet tank design to create more space. Loosing the 740x740 cubicle for either a large open plan tray and a glass side panel. The prices for a tray...
Replies
Views
C
Hi folks, Might be a stupid question but I currently have a wet room shower in place with a waste trap but I am looking to convert to a shower tray with raiser kit. Is there an easy way to connect shower waste from tray to wet room trap using an adapter of sorts? I am trying to avoid ripping...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock