Search the forum,

Discuss Weird thing dangling in cold water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

virtualmick

Hi all,

So I have a problem with my ball valve so my cold water tank is overflowing. Probably a knackered washer, but that's a different story.

The odd thing is that when looking in the tank I found something hooked into the insulation strapping and floating inside. it looks ceramic with what I thought was a cork top but actually I think it might be rubber. Pictures attached hopefully.

Now my initial thought was that a gangster lived in my house before me and has stored stolen diamonds in my tank. Result! But I suppose the reality is that it might be plumbing related - any thoughts? Might try and pop it open at the weekend, unless someone tells me it's essential to my house infrastructure and will release cyanide gas.

Cheers!
M

IMG_20150910_204223.jpgIMG_20150910_204208.jpg

I am as curious as you to find out!

the pictures could be better.

and, welcome to the forum.

Thanks - Yep, sorry the pics aren't better! I was balanced at the top of a step ladder at the top of my stairs, weird object in one hand, phone in the other and 2 feet of water beneath both. Interesting that it's not immediately recognisable to those in the know. If I find ÂŁ50 notes inside, pints are on me.

A sealed ceramic container held in a metal frame hooked over edge of water tank and into the water can most likely be one thing, - drugs holder! Could be a massive wad of cash though!

I do recall servicing a ball valve years ago and leaving an undisclosed some of money in a ceramic container so if you could return it to me with the cash ;)

where abouts are you?
I will be round as soon as to sort this out.

where abouts are you?
I will be round as soon as to sort this out.

I think I may have found a way to get my ball valve fixed without being told I'll have to wait for an appointment 3 weeks from now :smile5:

Remember, us plumbers believe in doing a professional job and we always remove the scrap and take it to be properly disposed.

Its an old prototype of TNT, similar to phosphorous, quite harmless when immersed in water

Highly volatile when exposed to air

I do indeed...outskirts of London. Do these things have a life expectancy? Should I get rid of it?

Just replaced the ball valve (a part 1 for a part 2). My first bit of plumbing ever! Not had the balls to turn the mains water back on yet. Waiting for the missus to get back from the shops so I can yell "TURN IT OFF" if water goes everywhere. If it works I'll feel like I've completed one step towards true manhood. And I'm 41.

I do indeed...outskirts of London. Do these things have a life expectancy? Should I get rid of it?

Just replaced the ball valve (a part 1 for a part 2). My first bit of plumbing ever! Not had the balls to turn the mains water back on yet. Waiting for the missus to get back from the shops so I can yell "TURN IT OFF" if water goes everywhere. If it works I'll feel like I've completed one step towards true manhood. And I'm 41.

Sounds like its a water softener then, i'd sling it and get a new one or inline one if you need it

As to the ball valve, just turn the main on, if you've tightened everything up it should be fine, and if there is a leak it'll only be a drip so wont flood the place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weird thing dangling in cold water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment and have a cold water tank in it. The cold water tank feeds the cold water tap in the sink and the bath. Recently, I refurbished my bathroom and, according to the plumber that fitted the new taps, high-pressure taps were fitted. Consequently, the water that comes out of...
Replies
Views
For residential housing, what are the current regulations and/or recommended/standard practices regarding the supply of cold water to the taps on kitchen sinks and bathroom washbasins? Must the supply come directly from the mains or can it come from the cold water storage tank? Or is the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am reinstating an indirect hot water tank and have 2 cold water feeds coming into it from the same supply. One of the feeds has a float valve but what ever was on the other has been removed. Why would there be 2 feeds to the top of the tank? Can I blank one off and just use the float valve...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock