Search the forum,

Discuss Weeping at teflon /PTFE brass connection Hello in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

larrens

Hi

I am connecting a male screw-in to my master valve.

However, there is some water 'weeping' from1 side of the connection by the tape.

I used PTFE/Teflon tape from a plumbing supply store (so its good quality and feels thick). I wound it around 7 times.

I then tightened with a spanner,however was cautious not to over-tighten. (with 7 strands, it is difficult to hand tighten)

I am not sure if the weeping I caused by too much tape (or too little?), or not hand tightening.

Advice is welcome.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4593.jpg
    IMG_4593.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 65
You're putting it on the correct way ?- believe it or not there is a correct way

You may have to rough the thread up a bit.
- Particularly when you a screwing a brass fitting into a chrome plated valve

Why is it pink?

7 times isn't much, espically for what looks like a 3/4 or 1" valve! I'd say 12 at least with some joint compound & get it tight with spanners...

Why is it pink?

7 times isn't much, espically for what looks like a 3/4 or 1" valve! I'd say 12 at least with some joint compound & get it tight with spanners...

Americans use ptfe and pipe dope

But I would use as above loctite 55 or 557

If it's the same pink tape that we use, it's a lot thicker.

Some people swear by it but I hate the stuff - for the reasons in the photo.
If you use it you should really rough up the thread because it slips and doesn't go into the female thread.

The joint should feel hard to turn using spanners when half on. Some paste would help to lubricate the ptfe tape and act as a sealer. You will notice the tape doesn't thread out if paste used.
Also you could make sure a few more wraps of tape at 'flange' end of fitting to guarantee a tight seal.

Why is it pink?

thanks - in Australia the "quality" tape is pink (when bought at a plumbers merchant)

If it's the same pink tape that we use, it's a lot thicker.

Some people swear by it but I hate the stuff - for the reasons in the photo.
If you use it you should really rough up the thread because it slips and doesn't go into the female thread.

thanks - will rough the thread up as you are correct, it does tend to slip

thanks - in Australia the "quality" tape is pink (when bought at a plumbers merchant)

That's what the suppliers tell you.

Only because they charge about 3 times as much for the pink tape than the standard white tape.

As state previously, I hate the pink tape!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Weeping at teflon /PTFE brass connection Hello in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock