Search the forum,

Discuss Weekly Business Update Thread - Let us know how it's going please. :) in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
We have a couple of threads running on the other forums. Trying to get people to give us a bit of an update weekly on how things are going for them in their trade. Thought I'd do the same for this forum too.

Let us know what's working right now for you, how you're getting business in. Let us know if you're struggling with something such as government support & grants etc, we'll see if we can help find the right information online for you.

Anything at all that'll help, add it to this thread.

Had an RTC back in June 2019 that prevented me from working for 5 months. Eventually got back to work towards the end of October 2019, albeit very limited with the type of work that I could do, because of the Accident.
Come March this year, I then had to 'shield' for 12 weeks, and just got back to work on 3rd August, but only getting a couple of jobs per week.
Being a Ltd Company there's no help at all out there, consequently I'm struggling financially, with very high prospects of having to close down.
Anybody else in a similar situation?

Busiest I've ever been. Actually been passing work on to other tradesmen friends. Currently looking for workshop/lockup and office space to cope but a bit edgy that this could all just be a national trend which could collapse in a few months. Weird times.

Had an RTC back in June 2019 that prevented me from working for 5 months. Eventually got back to work towards the end of October 2019, albeit very limited with the type of work that I could do, because of the Accident.
Come March this year, I then had to 'shield' for 12 weeks, and just got back to work on 3rd August, but only getting a couple of jobs per week.
Being a Ltd Company there's no help at all out there, consequently I'm struggling financially, with very high prospects of having to close down.
Anybody else in a similar situation?

Hi RSD,

Really sorry to hear all that.

Just a silly thought, and please ignore me if this sounds dumb:

Have you thought about setting yourself up online and offering remote support to people that have the fitness but not the skills to sort their plumb problems. With tools like zoom, messenger(video), WhatsApp(video), Google(can't remember the name) etc. Etc. you have the necessary tools. Need to consider risks liability and insurance in that, but you know how to run a business.

For the physical stuff, do you have a good physio? (Perhaps post with your town and others could advise on that).

For driving I nolonger have my own vehicle, but switched to auto's some years ago which makes big difference for the legs. Suggest stick to an old fashioned reliable hydraulic type for that (not the expensive unreliable double clutch types).

Hoping you can find some solutions,

Roy (very amateur plumber, and not much fitness. Also shielding )

Hi RSD,

Really sorry to hear all that.

Just a silly thought, and please ignore me if this sounds dumb:

Have you thought about setting yourself up online and offering remote support to people that have the fitness but not the skills to sort their plumb problems. With tools like zoom, messenger(video), WhatsApp(video), Google(can't remember the name) etc. Etc. you have the necessary tools. Need to consider risks liability and insurance in that, but you know how to run a business.

For the physical stuff, do you have a good physio? (Perhaps post with your town and others could advise on that).

For driving I nolonger have my own vehicle, but switched to auto's some years ago which makes big difference for the legs. Suggest stick to an old fashioned reliable hydraulic type for that (not the expensive unreliable double clutch types).

Hoping you can find some solutions,

Roy (very amateur plumber, and not much fitness. Also shielding )

Thanks for that Roy - however I'd rather not give advice to 'DIYers', as there are 'The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999' that may have to be adhered to.

With regards to the Accident, I've already had/completed Physio.

No problem driving (manual gearbox) now.

The main issue is, that I'm a one man band and have lost a lot of my customer base - I also did a lot of work for Estate Agents, Landlords etc. It's going to be far too costly to basically start up all over again, especially at my age.

Thanks for that Roy - however I'd rather not give advice to 'DIYers', as there are 'The Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999' that may have to be adhered to.

With regards to the Accident, I've already had/completed Physio.

No problem driving (manual gearbox) now.

The main issue is, that I'm a one man band and have lost a lot of my customer base - I also did a lot of work for Estate Agents, Landlords etc. It's going to be far too costly to basically start up all over again, especially at my age.
Hi RSD,

Glad to hear driving is ok.

For water regs that could be looked upon as a positive thing to explain to the young uns why it is worth doing it properly. Appreciate your concerns though.

Just another dumb thought, would you consider a training job down say the local tech college ( or whatever they are called these days ). JSA/ESA might be able to help with the costs of that (or any other ideas you might have).

Anyhow please ignore me if I'm being daft.

The world is in turmoil with the disruption of COVID so new opportunities that didn't exit before should be there somewhere. It does make the grey matter hurt thinking about it though.

If you go back to the plumbing and start simple I'm sure you will get customers back. There should be a build up of stuff that needs doing.

Hmmmm - take on an apprentice? ( or whatever the terminology is now)

Hope you can find a way.

Cheers,

Roy

Just started my own little concern, Frogman Facilities Management. Based on the Isle of Sheppy. Had a few small jobs but still fighting with old FM company for the money they owe me. But people need toilets unblocked wherever they live. Looking at linking up with plumbers in the same area to strengthen network

Reply to Weekly Business Update Thread - Let us know how it's going please. :) in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had a call to a 82 Old man, he paid these ÂŁ300 up front for a years cover, and I find out on arrival he's been waiting for 3 weeks, no heating or HW.. ( I had to dig backwards from the customers phone number he had) . Turns out the email for invoice i asked for is fake, dont reply to my text...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the Government in the UK needs to do more to make green energy heat pumps and other green central heating options more affordable for the UK customers...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Happy Christmas From PlumbersForums.net! We would like to wish all our members, new and old, a very happy Festive Season! Thanks for sticking with us during this rocky period! 2021 has been a very rocky ride for almost all businesses and the first few months we were all in various Tiers of...
Replies
Views
    • Love
Plumbers and Plumbing Work During COVID-19 / Coronavirus Pandemic (Public Weekly Thread) Firstly, Hi lads and ladies. Apologies it has been a while posting here. @Lou and I have been checking in every now and again to catch up with some things. I have 101 unread messages and 1,160 notifications...
Replies
Views
Recently over the past 2 months, the boiler or area by the water tank has started making a loud groaning noise whenever hot water has been running for much over a minute (sometimes less). Since the weather has gotten cooler, the radiators seem to come on (unless turned off at the TRV) whenever a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock