Search the forum,

Discuss WB Greenstar 30 cdi problems in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello Experts
My boiler has had a loud foghorn noise on firing for a few weeks which seems to be combustion gas mixture related from my googling. Video of identical.issue here :
View: https://youtu.be/YVfocgktEqg

There is also a smell of fumes when the noise happens.

However there is can access restriction with this installation meaning the cover cannot be completely removed, only slid up out of the way. Pictures attached.

Engineer arrived and condemned immediately with no investigation saying fit a new boiler. Suggesting outside as there is no other location in the kitchen. He claimed there was a screw missing for the flue which should have two. It is difficult to get at the flue.

I would like to fix this as it seems a small issue. The boiler is 13 years old but must have three or four years left?

I'm in South West London.

If anyone has any ideas would be most welcome.

Thank you

Attachments

• 20200305_072136.jpg
    20200305_072136.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200305_072132.jpg
    20200305_072132.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 23
You will need to contact as gas safe person, this is not something you can do yourself. You wont have the correct equipment to check it.

Boiler case needs to come off also can’t of been serviced in that time so time to get the hammer out

Lets be honest, the access on that boiler is shocking. It looks like someone has built that wall / bulkhead infront of the boiler. Especially bad on this model of worcester as the casing comes forward quite alot to be removed. If you look in the manual it will give you the minimum clearances around the boiler, it should never have been commissioned on that basis alone, let alone run for 12 years!

Lets be honest, the access on that boiler is shocking. It looks like someone has built that wall / bulkhead infront of the boiler. Especially bad on this model of worcester as the casing comes forward quite alot to be removed. If you look in the manual it will give you the minimum clearances around the boiler, it should never have been commissioned on that basis alone, let alone run for 12 years!

I agree. The boiler was installed in that position sadly so I guess I've been lucky not to have problems until now. I think other brands just have a front panel so they might be ok in that position? There are very few other options, outside has been suggested. Alternatively some building work raising the height of the lintle to improve accessibility.
[automerge]1583484957[/automerge]
I'm certainly not toning of doing this myself. I just want to understand that issues properly so I can m the best decision. Appreciate being able to bounce ideas off.

State of my current 13 yr old boiler is;
  • Expansion vessel just replaced with second hand one
  • Intermittent Loud noise from Bearing Plate/Fan diaphragm. 10 sec to 2 mins duration. Sounds like a tuba.
  • Fumes can be smelt immediately after the bearing plate noise.
  • Fan slightly noisy on starting up
  • Pressure is stable now

Is it worth repairing and resolving the access problems ?

Last edited:
Upto you but it hasn’t been serviced since the lintel was there so upto you but I would sort the access out and get a new one installed or have a fixed price repair from Worcester around £300

I think the engineer was correct. 1w yrs, not serviced. Second hand kit fitted. Pay a GSRE to install a good boiler in the correct place which would comply with Manufacturers Instructions.
[automerge]1586158519[/automerge]
12 yrs that should read

I agree. The boiler was installed in that position sadly so I guess I've been lucky not to have problems until now. I think other brands just have a front panel so they might be ok in that position? There are very few other options, outside has been suggested. Alternatively some building work raising the height of the lintle to improve accessibility.
[automerge]1583484957[/automerge]
I'm certainly not toning of doing this myself. I just want to understand that issues properly so I can m the best decision. Appreciate being able to bounce ideas off.

State of my current 13 yr old boiler is;
  • Expansion vessel just replaced with second hand one
  • Intermittent Loud noise from Bearing Plate/Fan diaphragm. 10 sec to 2 mins duration. Sounds like a tuba.
  • Fumes can be smelt immediately after the bearing plate noise.
  • Fan slightly noisy on starting up
  • Pressure is stable now

Is it worth repairing and resolving the access problems ?

Thank you to all who have replied. In the end as advised in the thread, a builder was able to raise the lintel to enable full access the boiler. Worcester Bosch were then able to do the fixed price repair to replace the fan bearing plate ( which was shredded ) and other servicing work. All running perfectly hopefully for at least a couple more years.

Reply to WB Greenstar 30 cdi problems in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock