Search the forum,

Discuss Waterproofing walls & floors - How much is enough? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Having a new bathroom fitted this week and looking for advice on how far we should go with waterproofing it.

The bathroom will be tiled floor to ceiling and will have a penta/corner shower cubicle, a sunken bath. Pan to wall toilet and a vanity unit / basin.

top down Layout and renders below.

Backer_boards_without.jpgbacker2_without.jpegbacker3_without.jpeg

After seeing a few horror stories on youtube of bathrooms not being appropriately waterproofed, rotting plasterboards and wall studs etc. I asked our plumber/fitter what they intended to do waterproofing wise...i.e waterproof boards / tanking etc.

Their reply was that they'd planned to use tile backer boards for where shower cublicle and sunken bath are (including steps etc). They said they didn't plan to tank or board the remaining areas and just doing the boards for the shower/bath area should be enough.. I've outlined on the images below the areas that they've said will be sufficient.

Backer_boards_with.jpgbacker2_with.jpgbacker3_with.jpg

I guess my questions are

:- Does this look correct and will it be sufficient for the areas outlined to be done with tilebacker boards, or should they be tanked too?

:- For the remainder of the room where they've said there wont be any tilebacker boards, it will be tiles directly onto soundbloc acoustic plasterboard...is this an issue? would it be wiser to tilebacker board the remaining areas too? or tank those areas that wont have the tile backer boards?

thanks for your help as always guys!

Edit:- these are the latest youtube links I saw about waterproofing, found them quite informative -

Last edited:
Tbh that bathroom looks impressive I would be installing schluter and doing the whole bathroom

Do you know what fitments eg items your going for eg shower toilet etc

Do you know what fitments eg items your going for eg shower toilet etc

I know the fitments yes. I have all the shower toilet bath etc all here already.

Those schluter boards look very similar to the element ones that will be used in the blue outlined parts of the pictures above.

If you’re putting the schluter over the top of the plasterboard, Do you tank over the top of the schluter boards? Or inbetween the plaster board and schluter? or neither?

It looks like your installers have it covered providing the walls can take the weight of the wall tiling and the tanking system is fitted and sealed correctly then all should be ok , it looks like a impressive project so no corners should be cut, the prep and first fix is vital to a successful outcome, project manage this one well regular checks and plenty of photos don't put your trust totally in your builder keep checking regularly the standard of work it needs to be A1 . Kop

Agree it looks like a nice project.
You cannot have too much structure under that top deck of the bath - it should look like a forest of stud walls under there!
This is your most vulnerable area, I have just done a similar bath - ply, then 12mm hardie then tanked was my choice - you don’t want any movement.

It looks like your installers have it covered providing the walls can take the weight of the wall tiling and the tanking system is fitted and sealed correctly then all should be ok , it looks like a impressive project so no corners should be cut, the prep and first fix is vital to a successful outcome, project manage this one well regular checks and plenty of photos don't put your trust totally in your builder keep checking regularly the standard of work it needs to be A1 . Kop

As said in the post at the top, they'd planned to board the areas in blue outline, but they didn't say they'd be tanking any of the bathroom. Just board the blue outlined areas and just tiles direct to plasterboard for the remainder of the room.

I'd hoped that'd be fine, but then i saw the Latest codes of practice of British Standards Institute (BSI) for BS 5385-1 with regards to wet rooms / bathrooms, Link below.

In that links it says

"What areas needs Tanking?

A wet area is considered to be any wet-room, bathroom, shower area, steam room or any other location that is subjected to frequent water contact. This would include the walls and floor in a wetroom, walls within a shower cubicle and walls around a bath with a shower."

I find that a little confusing, do they mean the entire has to be tanked for it to be within regs then? or just the vulnerable parts (i.e shower, and raised bath)

Are they decent brand / you can get spares for them in 10 years ? Eg taps / showers

You use schulter waterproofing and yes else no point fitting them as it’s not water tight

Agree it looks like a nice project.
You cannot have too much structure under that top deck of the bath - it should look like a forest of stud walls under there!
This is your most vulnerable area, I have just done a similar bath - ply, then 12mm hardie then tanked was my choice - you don’t want any movement.
Yeah agreed..

Its getting the balance of not safety of mind and finance I guess.

I think the most sensible with respects to above will be to tilebacker board and tank the bath and shower areas. and tank the rest of the room. I guess that could be considered overkill but I'm just thinking now's the time to get it right, I dont want to have to revisit this and if its only an extra few hundred quid for the extra tanking/boarding. It'd be multiples of that if we have to redo the room in future.

As said in the post at the top, they'd planned to board the areas in blue outline, but they didn't say they'd be tanking any of the bathroom. Just board the blue outlined areas and just tiles direct to plasterboard for the remainder of the room.

I'd hoped that'd be fine, but then i saw the Latest codes of practice of British Standards Institute (BSI) for BS 5385-1 with regards to wet rooms / bathrooms, Link below.

In that links it says

"What areas needs Tanking?

A wet area is considered to be any wet-room, bathroom, shower area, steam room or any other location that is subjected to frequent water contact. This would include the walls and floor in a wetroom, walls within a shower cubicle and walls around a bath with a shower."

I find that a little confusing, do they mean the entire has to be tanked for it to be within regs then? or just the vulnerable parts (i.e shower, and raised bath)
All wet areas should have waterproof tile backer boards fitted with all with joints taped and sealed and tanked that's the shower and bath area, the rest I would and use a paint on tanking system and tape up before tiling we also have a UK tiling forum you can log into there you can get more professional advice and help , as said before keep a close eye on the standard of work I haven't been impressed so far regarding the drainage issue you had ,this job needs good highly skilled craftsmen to achieve a very high standard of finish the job deserves . Regards kop

Last edited:
All wet areas should have waterproof tile backer boards fitted with all with joints taped and sealed and tanked that's the shower and bath area, the rest I would and use a paint on tanking system and tape up before tiling we also have a UK tiling forum you can log into there you can get more professional advice and help , as said before keep a close eye on the standard of work I haven't been impressed so far regarding the drainage issue you had ,this job needs good highly skilled craftsmen to achieve a very high standard of finish the job deserves . Regards kop

Cheers, it is a different team from the soil pipe to be fair - but its something i'll be keeping an eye on regardless.

Just a quick one - the process for tanking the tile backer boards and tanking is the same right? your message about sounded like it was different? i.e tanking is paint and tape regardless of what you're tanking onto? or have I misunderstood.

Tanking is either paint and tape, or (probably better if done correctly) membrane.
ah, can you link me to some membrane?

I was gonna buy 3 tubs of this stuff. :- Mapei AquaDefense Waterproofing Membrane 7.5kg - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mapei-aquadefense-waterproofing-membrane-7-5kg/8531d

it says it's a liquid paint on membrane, are you talking a bout something else?

Also the plumbers aid they're using KERDI boards from Schluter, they look to be waterproof?

Cheers, it is a different team from the soil pipe to be fair - but its something i'll be keeping an eye on regardless.

Just a quick one - the process for tanking the tile backer boards and tanking is the same right? your message about sounded like it was different? i.e tanking is paint and tape regardless of what you're tanking onto? or have I misunderstood.
As above tanking is paint on and tape this can be applied to plaster board or other boarding to make it more durable and protected from moisture, tile backer boards are insulating foam sandwiched between cement faced reinforced fibre glass for strength and are totally waterproof, the other thing to consider is the weight of tiles and adhesive as the list below , we have a sponsor the wet room store who stock every thing you need to achieve the perfect prep for tiling onto I regularly use their thermopanel .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211102-203400.png
    Screenshot_20211102-203400.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20211102-202652.png
    Screenshot_20211102-202652.png
    191.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210209_094239214.jpg
    PXL_20210209_094239214.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20210413-203440.png
    Screenshot_20210413-203440.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210607_130000488.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210607_130000488.MP.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210209_152551306.jpg
    PXL_20210209_152551306.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210608_085146077.jpg
    PXL_20210608_085146077.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210920_150327101.jpg
    PXL_20210920_150327101.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210608_085119385.jpg
    PXL_20210608_085119385.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210210_172544066.jpg
    PXL_20210210_172544066.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 13
I get your concern about waterproofing your new bathroom, you don't want to end up with a horror story like those on YouTube. From what I can see in the pictures, the bathroom looks impressive and I agree with ShaunCorbs that SchlĂĽter boards are a great option for waterproofing. I would recommend using them throughout the bathroom, especially under the sunken bath and shower cubicle, as Ben-gee pointed out, those are the most vulnerable areas.

I get your concern about waterproofing your new bathroom, you don't want to end up with a horror story like those on YouTube. From what I can see in the pictures, the bathroom looks impressive and I agree with ShaunCorbs that SchlĂĽter boards are a great option for waterproofing. I would recommend using them throughout the bathroom, especially under the sunken bath and shower cubicle, as Ben-gee pointed out, those are the most vulnerable areas.
18 months old, I would imagine it's been long done.

Reply to Waterproofing walls & floors - How much is enough? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am trying to help my mother in law by renovating her bathroom for her as it was in quite a sad state. The bathroom is a very poor attempt at a bedroom to bathroom convertion. So bad that it still had carpet over the whole floor, the area around the bathtub has no waterproofing what so...
Replies
Views
Hello, Our bathroom was installed 9 months ago by what we know were tradespeople who did not have the skill or experience to do so. Several revisits to fix leaks, poor siliconing and retile whole wall and reinstall shower tray were needed and in the end we just accepted it, even though it’s...
Replies
Views
Can anyone tell me where I can get a walk in shower enclosure glass wall channel with about 50mm - 60mm of adjustment in it? I hired a bathroom fitting company to gut and replace 4 bathrooms in a block of holiday flats. In one of the bathrooms they missed an extremely out of plumb wall. Their...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Our bathroom fitters have finished the first fix. However, when the tiler came round, he pointed out these issues: Standard plasterboard has been used throughout (including the future shower area), rather than using the waterproof variety of plasterboard or to use tiling board. The...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by the survey. I have had loads of plumbers over, and have always carefully checked their reviews/tried to vet them as much as possible. However, I've had...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock