Search the forum,

Discuss water timer required in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My central heating was installed in 1978. Over the years only two boilers have been used; installed a Kinetico water softener in mid 80s.

However when installed the upstairs radiators were run off the hot water system. This is no problem, till now, as we have never used the rad in our bedroom and the rad in our spare bedroom we just turn for winter and turn off in spring.

The controller we used for many years allowed us to control both water and heating via its built in timer; can't remember its name but when it broke some 15 years ago the replacement just plugged into the existing electrical socket.

About two years ago we had to call in a plumber to resolve a problem. He found that our control unit was faulty. He said that that type is no longer made but he could find something similar except no controlling the water; thought that would be OK. The unit is a Siemens RWB2E. We should have asked more questions, but just told him to find an ordinary controller!

We now realise that the only way to control the water is to operate the switch on the unit; difficult as the unit is in a cupboard under the stairs and the rad is upstairs, old legs creak!

What controller will allow us the control the heating and water under the timer. Perhaps we could go further and have independent control. We will get a qualified plumber to install.

Any advice please?

I would fit a wireless programmable room thermostat with hot water capabilities. The receiver would go under the unit, and the controller being wireless can go pretty much anywhere. A few that spring to mind are:

• Honeywell T6R-HW
  • Hive dual channel
  • Drayton Wiser 2 channel
  • Heatmiser slimline

Junction box.jpg

This Honeywell junction box has the following cables connected. Note unit to left is the Siemens.

Cables left to right

1) to Siemens
2) from zone valve
3) 240V in

4) connection to boiler*
5) to pump
6) from thermostat
7) connection to boiler*

*Two cables go through the wall to the boiler on the otherside; I don't know what they are connected to on the boiler.

If a Honeywell T6R-HW was fitted I assume the Seimens would be replaced with the Honeywell receiver box and the thermostat cable would be disconnected?

As this unit is in the very warm, in the under the stairs cupboard, would this affect the receiver box and with the metal around it how about wifi received? My wifi signal strength phone app shows a good 2.4Ghz signal at the Siemens.

I emphasise that I will not be fitting anything but would like to understand what is.

Note I turned off the power and unscrewed the plastic junction box cover to take picture; replaced cover then turned power back on.

Drayton lifestyle if you want just simple and should just clip onto the existing backplate

Yes the Honeywell would replace the Siemens, and thermostat wiring would be replaced with the switching wires from the Honeywell. You could replace with a simple time clock and just extend the wiring out of the cupboard?

@ShaunCorbs OP wants it to be easier/better access to turn on and off.

Reply to water timer required in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock