Search the forum,

Discuss Water supply and drain cover query in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone,

Today a plumber came round to do carry urgent repairs in the kitchen but needed to turn off the mains water supply to the building since it is flats.
He went out to the front of the building and opened the water drain cover which is outside the front gate and on the pavement to locate the stop valve and shut the water supply off, however he was not able to locate it despite taking out quite a bit of debris and said he could only see a pipe but no valve.

• Is this unheard of as should there be a valve and can the water company help with this?
  • Also I can turn off the water to my flat by turning off all the stop cocks and gate valve is this not sufficient enough or does the main water valve outside the building need to be turned off.
  • Will I need to pay for the water company to help with this?
  • I had my bathroom completely upgraded a few years but the mains wasn't turned off then or am I missing something?

I would appreciate any information or advice as I am at a loss what to do thank you.

It's the Water Co who should clear out the stop valve chamber and fix the valve if required.
And also identify where their stop valve is and if not found fit one.
Sometimes the stop valve location is lost, when pavements are realligned or resurfaced

None of that is chargeable.

Reply to Water supply and drain cover query in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock