Search the forum,

Discuss Water softener query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I’m looking into getting a water softener at home. Nearly all install guides show the bypass and waste going through a wall to outside. In my situation this isn’t possible. Can these both be drained away in the same manner that the washing machine / dishwasher do? I did read about potential blockage and the waste backing up into the softener - but I’m guessing there’s a solution for that?

many thanks for any advice.

For the brine regeneration you can use a self cutting waste kit. as the outflow is under pressure. However you need some sort of visual check for a problem with the brine level in your softener overflowing and going out to waste. This rarely happens but is usually an indication that a valve or gasket inside the softener needs replacing. Ideally needs to go outside, just in case!
A recommendation is to go for a twin salt block softener. They are more expensive, but in the long run (20 years or more) you will find they are a good long term investment.

Reply to Water softener query in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 9 months now, started suffering intermittent but frequent hydraulic shock thwacks, sometimes very violent, below Harvey's water softener in mains cold copper pipe. So far, water tank ballcock replaced, kitchen mixer tap replaced, Harvey's serviced the water softener, approx. 5 years old...
Replies
Views
My water stinks. Smells musty. I installed a Whirlpool water softener mid February of this year ('23) and it's smelled ever since. So here's the story: we live on a farm in southeast PA. Our well is 60' deep with the water table around 10'. Two houses supplied from the same well. One day I...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have noticed for a while now that when our washing machine nears the end of a cycle we get a bad smell of dirty water in the downstairs toilet which is next door. We have moved the washing machine as we are having floor tiles put down and have noticed that the waste pipe is full of dark...
Replies
Views
Hello, as is common with most newbies I've arrived with a problem. Our water softener is about 18 months old, a BWT WS355 in an insulated outside cabinet. It's probably the third we've had - been here a very long time and always had a softener. I installed it myself, just connecting to existing...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws water (toilet cistern filling after flushing, tap being turned on or washing machine filling etc), the water pressure / flow to the other appliance...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock