Search the forum,

Discuss Water regulations for back flow into the water main. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Hopefully someone will be able to give me a web link to the particular regulation.

Just had a new kitchen fitted, the tap is a Brita Ceto filter tap. This type of tap is a single channel tap, ie the hot water and mains cold water mix within the spout. The instructions for the tap state that check valves should be fitted, as required by water regulations, to stop back flow of the hot water into the mains if there is a failure in the mains pressure.

The national firm, who quoted for the kitchen and fitted it, say it is not mandatory, so will not fit the valves.

Can anybody give me a web link to regulation stating that check valves MUST be fitted on single channel taps.

We had a water outage the other day, mains burst several miles away and lost water for 1/2 a day. When I turned the cold tap on you could hear air being sucked into the water mains, hence my concern.

I know that I can call in a plumber, but feel annoyed that a national firm might be flouting sensible regulations, if it is mandatory to fit them.

Many thanks,

SMB

Could have been air coming out of the tap and not going in? You could have been bleeding the air out of the pipe work. Do you have a double check valve fitted to your incoming mains? If so then you could do with out the check valves on the tap.

No check valve on incoming mains.
Definitely air being sucked in. We are one of the highest properties on this section on the mains, then it drop down to the next small village and ends.
Do the water board require a check valve (double or single) on the incoming mains pipe?

Yes. Double check valve.

Thats news to me, I Had to adapt some pipework and move a water meter, the water board never mentioned that they wanted a double check valve just stop tap and full bore iso for servicing

Hopefully someone will be able to give me a web link to the particular regulation.

Just had a new kitchen fitted, the tap is a Brita Ceto filter tap. This type of tap is a single channel tap, ie the hot water and mains cold water mix within the spout. The instructions for the tap state that check valves should be fitted, as required by water regulations, to stop back flow of the hot water into the mains if there is a failure in the mains pressure.

The national firm, who quoted for the kitchen and fitted it, say it is not mandatory, so will not fit the valves.

Can anybody give me a web link to regulation stating that check valves MUST be fitted on single channel taps.

We had a water outage the other day, mains burst several miles away and lost water for 1/2 a day. When I turned the cold tap on you could hear air being sucked into the water mains, hence my concern.

I know that I can call in a plumber, but feel annoyed that a national firm might be flouting sensible regulations, if it is mandatory to fit them.

Many thanks,

SMB

If the tap is mix in the body then it should have single check valves on hot and cold supplies, although sometimes this can reduce the flow quite a bit out of the tap but should still be fitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water regulations for back flow into the water main. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, I need to replace the kitchen tap, all my neighbours have two single taps in their kitchen and bathroom whereas I have a single lever tap in the bathroom and kitchen. Due to living in a flat and having a shared water supply I was advised to get a dual flow tap for the kitchen so...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a few mixer taps to install in bathrooms and kitchen. The kitchen tap also has a wondering spray arm capability. On researching something else, i stumbled across people saying that a check valve should be placed on the cold mains feed. How can I tell if the mixer taps/spray arm mix...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Stopcock in kitchen wall panel turns off cold water supply in kitchen only Red gate valve in airing cupboard next to bathroom turns off...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock