Search the forum,

Discuss water regulations and self-certification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Hi all,

I'm a student plumber on an NVQ2 plumbing/heating course. At some point, I'll do the BPEC water regs certificate.

But in the meantime, I'd be grateful for advice about self-certification and water regulations? Which jobs need to be certified them? And who could certify them if you don't have a certificate?

Thanks

Jennie

here is a list of job which need a certificate which can be issued by an approved plumber The installation of a water fitting in connection with:
1. The erection of a building or other structure, not being a
pond or swimming pool
2. The extension or alteration of a water system on any
premises other than a house (#)
3. A material change of use of any premises
4. The installation of:
a. a bath having a capacity, as measured to the centre
line of the overflow, of more than 230 litres (*)
b. a bidet with an ascending spray or flexible hose (#)
c. a shower unit of a type specified by the Regulator
(none are currently specified) (*)
d. a pump or booster drawing more than 12 litres per
minute, connected directly or indirectly to a supply
pipe
e. a unit which incorporates reverse osmosis.
f. a water treatment unit which produces a wastewater
discharge or which requires the use of water for
regeneration or cleaning
g. a reduced pressure zone (RPZ) valve assembly or
other mechanical device for protection against a
fluid which is in Fluid Category 4 or 5
h. a garden watering system unless designed to be
operated by hand (*)
i. any water system laid outside a building either less
than 750mm or more than 1350mm below ground
level.
5. The construction of a pond or swimming pool over
10,000 litres capacity, designed to be replenished
automatically with water supplied by a public water
supplier. (*)

Thanks so much for that. I'm quite relieved - I can at least do some small jobs until I get that certificate. Thanks.

Need to be careful with the list quoted as most of these items require a compliance certificate to be issued on completion but also required notification to the water company for consent to be granted before the work takes place.

There is very little in this list that you can actually self certify without water company involvement. See wras website for more detail.

Jon

How long are these certification course? How many years course are these?

How long are these certification course? How many years course are these?

You get a home study pack which should take a couple of weeks to complete (couple of night study or so, each week) You do need to do it as although it is half a day training (& half day assessment) there is a lot to take in.

OK.. Thanx for the information. Means one need to work and study very hard.

Does these certification exams have pre-entrance test too?

No. But as stated you should be nvq trained already

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Just for the record, the BPEC water reg's does not as I understand it require prier attainment of an NVQ (it might well be a distinct advantage), all that is required is you work within the industry & have prior knowledge of plumbing systems. This is needed to allow building / facilities managers & the like, to acquire knowledge & competency to check & monitor their buildings. I am sure there are other examples as well but this was one that came to mind.

Great list by Aqualogic7. Also unvented hot water systems?

Sorry ! Unvented will require another course
courses courses courses ???

But then you need to register with an approved installer scheme recognised by the water authority that cover the area you are working in.

I just joined APHC as we have just renovated 6 flats and 2 shops in a listed building. Waterboard still came out and signed it all off but it's worth having.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water regulations and self-certification in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock