• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Water pump start-stop every second in the Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

WreckItRalphie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have installed a Nordstrand 90W water pump with flow switch, which you can find on eBay and Amazon. It worked brilliantly when I first installed it, and it still provides excellent flow rate through the taps.

But it has started doing this weird thing: when I turn the tap off, the pump stops and starts about once every second. I'm fairly sure it's the flow switch that is sending the start-stop signals, but I don't know why or what to do about it.

The only way I have found to stop this is to turn the pump off, and then when I turn it back on it doesn't do it until the next time I open and close a tap. I have checked the pipework and I don't think there is a leak anywhere, so the flow switch is not detecting actual flow.

Any ideas what it could be and how I could fix it? Thanks

centralheatking

Reaction score
We need an installation diagram of how you have put it in not
the proprietry one. maybe a piccy or 2 centralheatking

OP
W

WreckItRalphie

Reaction score
Mains water --- loft tank --- service valve --- pump --- flow switch --- service valve --- boiler --- shower/taps

Pics to follow

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you need some non return valves just after the pump outlet.
Why now, they weren`t they required at installation and it has been working fine. I`m more inclined to think sticking flow switch.

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Why now, they weren`t they required at installation and it has been working fine. I`m more inclined to think sticking flow switch.
Maybe so, although op failed to mention when the pump was installed. It may have been installed last week and now having an issue, I've had a few instances where pumps have worked fine for a couple of weeks after install and then began pulsing requiring non return valves to be fitted.

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe so, although op failed to mention when the pump was installed. It may have been installed last week and now having an issue, I've had a few instances where pumps have worked fine for a couple of weeks after install and then began pulsing requiring non return valves to be fitted.
Interesting, anyone else experienced this and know why it happens? Only asking as baffled as to why.

Craig Watson

Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Interesting, anyone else experienced this and know why it happens? Only asking as baffled as to why.
Depends how the pump is piped, if the outlet has a vertical rise on it, you can find that after the pump stops, as the water falls back down it activates the flow switch, which pumps the water back up and then shuts off, water falls back down and so on

John.g

Reaction score
There was a "Shower Power Booster Pump" on a thread here recently that had a similar type pump of lower power with flow switch problems that was cured by the addition of a filter, it had been caused by debris in its NRV.

Last edited:
OP
W

WreckItRalphie

Reaction score
Installed a check valve after the flow switch and that has fixed the problem, cheers guys

I suppose it must have been the depressurisation after the tap closing, causing backflow through the flow switch, that turned the pump on to repressurise and turn off, rinse and repeat. Valve prevents backflow. Don't know why I didn't think of that before ;)

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
Installed a check valve after the flow switch and that has fixed the problem, cheers guys

I suppose it must have been the depressurisation after the tap closing, causing backflow through the flow switch, that turned the pump on to repressurise and turn off, rinse and repeat. Valve prevents backflow. Don't know why I didn't think of that before ;)
How long has the pump been installed and working correctly?

OP
W

WreckItRalphie

Reaction score
Pump has been installed for a couple of weeks, but I don't think there has been any proper usage to test it as other work has been going on, I just came back to this the other day and noticed the problem. Glad it's sorted, one less job to worry about

rpm

Trusted
Plumber
Reaction score
New and being basically unused changes things somewhat from old and new problem.

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Top Bottom