Search the forum,

Discuss water pump issue? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all,

the central heating water pump at my parents house seems faulty. it makes unusual noises like gurgling, groaning noises that we never heard before. further to this after just 2 mins in the pump gets very hot and the boiler switches off. the pump itself was originally installed in 1986!! as its the oldest component i am guessing it is that.

the system is a condensing boiler (Worcester bosch 18Ri) with an F&E tank in the loft. the pump itself is SMC comet 130-45 installed 1986 we have NO cylinder

i have done the following to diagnose the system:

Drained F&E tank and refill. all works ok, ball cock works fine. tank drains at a steady rate and also fills at a steady rate.

i have bled all the radiators in the house starting at the bottom. all fine

i have ran a magnet on the pipes in and out of the tank, and around the water pump, no pull on the magnet

i have attempted to diagnose the actual pump, but when i take off the cover, i cannot find any bleed screw

after the above, the pump makes a loud whirring noise when switched on, it runs hot, but does not groan and gurgle. the boiler switches off after 5 mins

i am wondering, or seeking advice what else i can do to get the pump working and ultimately the CH back up working. is it a faulty pump?

previous to this the CH has been running fine. we estimate we stopped using it in may, and last week we put it on to test if the heating was working fine

i will attach some photos.

please note i am not a plumber or CH engineer, i am a DIYer with a splattering of knowledge and experience

many thanks in advance

Attachments

• wp1.jpg
    wp1.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 18
  • wp2.jpg
    wp2.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 15
  • wp3.jpg
    wp3.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 16
  • WP4.jpg
    WP4.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 17
  • WP5.jpg
    WP5.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 13
  • WP6.jpg
    WP6.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 13
Pumps gone / cap

You can try testing the cap and then if bad changing the capacitor first if you want

thanks for your quick reply shaun. how can i be sure its not an airlock issue? i don't mind changing the pump, its served us well! but it will be pointless having a new pump if i there are outstanding issues.

Have you drained the system?

Did you fully drain the system or until you heard the tank running ?

hi all update:

i drained the tank in the loft and all the radiators today. i then went through the bleeding process once the water was reinstated. there was no issues with the tank re-filling and the ball valve closing the water. after the whole process. i attempted the central heating and same result. the boiler lasted 2 mins and shut off. the pump was not making excessive noise but it didn't "sound" right. whole process took me 2.5 hours.

any suggestions?

thanks

Turn the hot water on only and the boiler temp to min and let it run

Yes as the hot water circuit eg upto the cylinder is the shortest circuit normally any bleeder / venting points around the cylinder?

How do you have hot water then ?

That’s fair enough so shut all the radiators but the closest one to the pump and then run the system

Did you keep bleeding any air off the rad !

dear all, thanks for your advice. i'd like to give you an update:

i called in a CH engineer to help resolve the issue. to cut a long story very short, he did think there maybe 2 issues, airlock, or water pump. he decided to go down the water pump route and said lets see what happens. he changed the water pump and then bled the boiler. so i have no issues there. during the install he had to apply force to remove the pump, that's fine we knew that from the conversation above. so all was fine, everyone happy. however during the install he decided not to change the valves to the new ones. i asked why. he said 1) we would have to drain the system and could cause an airlock 2) the valves are fine, no need changing them if we don't have to. i was surprised by this, and told him so, but took his advice. all good. i went to check the install hours later, and saw the water pump and valves wet. it was almost like it was sweating, but we had to put a container under to catch the drip. i text him and sent a video. he said he will come next day and he did. however, this is the heart of the matter. he tried to tighten it and the weep was still there. he then says to me, "your valves are defective". i reminded him that he confirmed the valves were fine and they didn't need changing, so you cannot tell me that i have defective valves. they weren't defective for over 30 years. he then said there is nothing he can do, he will have to charge me to change them. his job was to change the water pump only, valves wasn't part of the job. i then replied and explained to him that when i booked a job with the office, i said my CH doesn't work, i think its the water pump. during the conversation i told them i have the pump and valves on site. I told him all this when he came to the house, and gave him the pump and valve to hand. he declared its a separate job, nothing he can do and left.

at this point, i think its worth me saying that when i booked the job, i asked the office if the engineer can call me before hand as i will be happy to drain the tank, if that helps save time. the office said that they will get him to ring. he didn't, i didn't hear anything, he phoned me to say he's outside my house. he was two hours early, which i wasn't complaining about.

i lodged an investigation with the firm which, as you can imagine, is slow. promises of "I'll call you back" but never do. the latest conversation is that they are willing to replace the valves but its chargeable.

so i am hoping to get some perspective on this. i feel that the company should replace the valves with no cost as the engineer had caused some damage to it, they don't think so. they're stance is that they were only there to change the water pump.

what do you think?

thanks

The valves are fine did he clean the face up and put new rubber washers on

If he damaged the nuts you can replace these by just using the slots on the underside of them and removing them

Would call them back and say it’s leaking and you want there insurance number as it’s going to cause damage

The valves are fine did he clean the face up and put new rubber washers on
hi Shaun. yes he cleaned the threads and changed the rubber washer which came with the pump.
If he damaged the nuts you can replace these by just using the slots on the underside of them and removing them
can you direct me to where this is? i upload a photo
Would call them back and say it’s leaking and you want there insurance number as it’s going to cause damage

i have a video which i sent to him. can i upload it here?

thanks

Attachments

• wp3.jpg
    wp3.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 20
I've seen those slots Shaun on the very few that I've changed but a bit confused as to what exactly their purpose is?.

So you can swap the nuts

16mins onward

Is it leaking from the pump nut or where the valve screws into ?

Ah, very good, so you could split the nut(s) if seized and just buy a new pair of nuts and slide them back on, we learn something new every day.

Ah, very good, so you could split the nut(s) if seized and just buy a new pair of nuts and slide them back on, we learn something new every day.

Yes or you deform them trying to undo them eg oval I’ve put a video up that I managed to find

Couldn't watch the video but some of the older type had slotted ball vale (with O ring seal) for isolation and these invariably leaked out of the seal when reopened.......new valve required, the better type have a gate valve that don't leak, if yours arn't leaking like this then you can just isolate the water at both and renew the nuts (+rubbers) if required.

Electrical motors fail because of the load, the load in this case is the force required to move the valve...
engineers are highly educated, very bright people. Obtaining your BEng or MEng makes you a 1% of the 1%. They solve problems, they create solutions.
CH "engineers" or people who have an NVQ (and paid a private company never to be wrong) are at best technicians, you so it's not fair to expect them to be at the same level as a a real engineer.
The most thy do is guess and if that guess is wrong, they guess again. Imagine this was medical..they would be struck-off. Lower your expectations when dealing with the technicians and always be prepared to question their logic...

Is it leaking from the pump nut or where the valve screws into ?
update: the source of the leak is here. i've attached some photos. i double and tripled checked the whole fitting in case there was multiple leaks. thanks

Attachments

• pump leak valve_LI (2).jpg
    pump leak valve_LI (2).jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 17
  • pump leave valve zoom_LI (2).jpg
    pump leave valve zoom_LI (2).jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 17
That's a valve change out job IMO, it should have been quite obvious to "all" (being diplomatic) that attempts had been made to address this, probably attempting to tighten it/them.

Reply to water pump issue? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock