Search the forum,

Discuss Water pressure issue, sometimes results in our taps `sucking` in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We live in a row of 4 terrace houses running perpendicular to a main road, we are the end terrace furthest from the road. We often lose water pressure and sometimes we get no flow of water at all (particularly annoying when showering). When the water stops, the taps sound like they are drawing air in! We have recently noticed a humming noise coming from our adjoining wall. Please can someone advose. Thanks, Josh

Yes. It sounds like someone in the area has installed a pump with too much demand to be allowed.
Please speak to the water authority in your area. There is a high risk of cross contamination in that situation and not just for you either. The drinking water main could become contaminated.

I would treat that as urgent!

Yes. It sounds like someone in the area has installed a pump with too much demand to be allowed.
Please speak to the water authority in your area. There is a high risk of cross contamination in that situation and not just for you either. The drinking water main could become contaminated.

I would treat that as urgent!
Thanks, they've said that as ours is a joint water supply, it is a private matter. So one we'll have to take up with them directly. Which could result in them just ignoring? What would happen if we fitted a pump? I'm conscious that there will be some damage caused to my boiler if a tap is open, but no water flowing through the pipes!

Shared supply sounds like you need to contact to water board for a new supply tapping and then get a plumber to install a new water main into your property

Shared supply sounds like you need to contact to water board for a new supply tapping and then get a plumber to install a new water main into your property
Thank you for this. Would you be able to provide an estimated costing/price range. What would the factors be that affect costing? If any.

Not possible to price without seeing. If you contact the water board they'll come and have a look and give specific advice for free (Not really free cos you already paid for it on your bill)
The water board has a vested interest in you being able to use as much water as you want and are usually very helpful in cases like this.
Personally I would speak to the neighbour with the new pump first in a friendly manner. (As above I'd put money on a new and unsuitable pump being installed next door)

Even though it's a shared supply to 4 houses, I would have thought the moment you mention "taps sound like they are sucking air" the Water Co. would at least want to investigate the other properties as air could be being drawn into the street main supply.

Given it's a shared supply it's almost certain it's lead pipework.
If so there's a scheme where the Water Co will do the new final connection to their main free, but not the pipework and trench to it.
It would also make financial sense to try to get some of the neighbours to upgrade their supply at tthe same time, sharing the trenching cost.
It may not need to be fully dug out as there are companies that can use a mechanical Mole to create an anderground path to pull in a new pipe.

? What would happen if we fitted a pump?
It might seem tempting but that's a bit like "if my neighbour plays loud music then I'll just play louder music"
De-escalation works better than escalation đź‘Ť
I've seen these sort of things in older blocks of flats and it makes my head hurt that the neighbour who fitted the pump never realised that the "extra" water they get has to come from somewhere (their neighbours)

Reply to Water pressure issue, sometimes results in our taps `sucking` in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock