Search the forum,

Discuss Water pressure for block of flats in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I will try to explain best I can, please bare in mind I am currently in a learning stage so just trying to understand the process behind things.

A building with three floors and 69 rooms. How do you work out the pressure needed on the hot water system? I’m sure there is a calculation to work out the flow rate and pressure. Sometimes the top floor experience low pressure on the hot water, I believe it is currently supplied at 2.5 bar.

I would like to try and do the calculations to work out the correct pressure setting.

appreciate any help or advice given.

Thank you.

There’s a difference between pressure and flow rate, and there’s a calculation used for working out which each floor needs by a way of working out what is needed to be fed on those floors. More experienced engineers than me might say an accumulator could be used?

Chances are the booster system isn’t designed for total load or is starting to fail eg pump seals etc

There’s a difference between pressure and flow rate, and there’s a calculation used for working out which each floor needs by a way of working out what is needed to be fed on those floors. More experienced engineers than me might say an accumulator could

Thank you for the reply. Do you know the formula for the calculation please? I would quite like to work out the pressure per floor. A hot water expansion vessel is used on the system which is set at 2.5 bar unsure if this is correct or how to work out the correct pressure.

Thank you for the reply. Do you know the formula for the calculation please? I would quite like to work out the pressure per floor. A hot water expansion vessel is used on the system which is set at 2.5 bar unsure if this is correct or how to work out the correct pressure.

2.5 bar cold so let’s say 3 bar per flat and 20lpm how many floors ?

So let’s take 2.6m to allow for dropped ceilings etc that gives you 10.4m need to pump so adds 1.04 bar ontop of your outlet pressure requirement so 4.04 bar required to give you 3 bar 4 floors up

Working on the 70% rule that’s 50 flats needing water at the same time so that’s 1000lpm eg 20lpm for each flat

So 4.1 bar and 1000lpm is your duty cycle

Reply to Water pressure for block of flats in the Commercial and Industrial Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
M
I have a viessman vitodens 222F combi storage boiler on the ground floor. It has 100l capacity inbuilt cylinder which is delivered on mains pressure. I bought it hoping I could have two showers across floors running with hot water even if it’s a short while, while avoiding an unvented...
Replies
Views
Max Hill
M
Hi everyone, Gas combi Boiler Mains fed in all taps and shower How do I balance the water pressure in all faucets in my flat. Every tap/water faucet is mains fed but the cold water is really strong in every tap that if I open the tap fully it flies out like a fountain but the hot water is not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock