Search the forum,

Discuss Water pipes buried under floor advice needed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I'm in England. I would like to know if it's okay to bury copper water pipes under a concrete floor. I've tried to look up the regs but's it's like double dutch to me. The pipes will be wrapped in hessian, overlaid with PIR insulation and then screed. I don't want to step on the plumbers toes but this doesn't seem a good idea. If I have a leak I will have to dig up the whole floor. Is there a better way to do this? There are meters of pipes going to be lying under my floors so I want to make sure they're protected as much as possible. Thanks for your time.

Can I ask why / do they need to be in the floor normally in the floor space above and drops down etc ?

Can I ask why / do they need to be in the floor normally in the floor space above and drops down etc ?
I don't see why they need to be put there but the plumber chose to put them there without any discussion. We have built an extension with underfloor heating in a large area so some of the hot water pipes will be lying under the underfloor heating. The cold mains supply runs near the edge of the room under kitchen units. The plumber is sub-contracted by the builder so I don't know him at all. What questions should I ask given they don't like me asking anything? It's all supposed to be to Building Regs standards.

I’m guessing it’s easiest for him you want them cleaning of flux eg hot soapy water and a green scouring pad every joint and then waterproof gaffa tape the lot and then 19mm insulation over the lot and joints water proof gaffa tap as well it’s given half a chance then

I’m guessing it’s easiest for him you want them cleaning of flux eg hot soapy water and a green scouring pad every joint and then waterproof gaffa tape the lot and then 19mm insulation over the lot and joints water proof gaffa tap as well it’s given half a chance then
Thanks very much for your advice. the pipes have been laid on sub floor like in the photo so will be a real pain to wrap tape around. What can I say to the plumber to get him to listen? He thinks it's fine. Is there anything in the regs?

Attachments

• DE84F202-ABC5-4B60-B278-2A59FC1F824F.png
    DE84F202-ABC5-4B60-B278-2A59FC1F824F.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
Is that bare copper on show ?

See the above wras guidelines

If they are not wrapped in something airtight salts from the cement will reach the copper and corrode it. If he doesn’t understand this then stop him working. Even quality plastic pipe in conduit would be preferable.

Thanks very much for your advice. the pipes have been laid on sub floor like in the photo so will be a real pain to wrap tape around. What can I say to the plumber to get him to listen? He thinks it's fine. Is there anything in the regs?
I wouldn't be happy with bare copper laid directly on the slab , it needs to be pressure tested if there are soldered joints ? and be protected from unforseen damage before any floor insulation is fitted, there are better options in my opinion continuous plastic coated soft copper on a roll or Hep 2o in a conduit system would be better using a manifolded system you can avoid any joints under your floor slab . Kop

I can’t remember the distance off the top of my head but I’m pretty sure pipes need to be a minimum distance away from the edge of the screed (maybe 150mm).

They should also be above the dpm and insulation. And I think the minimum screed depth above the pipes is 50mm.

Also, one of those pipes is labelled gas, that can’t go in how it is. It can’t just be wrapped. It either needs to go in a purpose built open ended conduit or installed with factory pre sleeved copper pipe.

Lots of wrong here.

Very poor in all honesty🙁 it's not hard to make such a better job of the pipework it would be better run on top of the insulation wrapping in hairfelt by 50 % , gas pipework should not go under the damp proof membrane and insulation it needs to be above my go to product is Gastite pipe flexible stainless steel piping with a manufactured protective sleeve which can be buried in screed or sunk into the insulation prior to laying the screed . Kop

Very poor in all honesty🙁 it's not hard to make such a better job of the pipework it would be better run on top of the insulation wrapping in hairfelt by 50 % , gas pipework should not go under the damp proof membrane and insulation it needs to be above my go to product is Gastite pipe flexible stainless steel piping with a manufactured protective sleeve which can be buried in screed or sunk into the insulation prior to laying the screed . Kop
Thanks for this. The plumber is gas safe registered which makes it even more concerning. We are going to get someone in the check it and rectify urgently before the screed goes down. Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Reply to Water pipes buried under floor advice needed in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock