Search the forum,

Discuss Water pipe whistling in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello folks,

I live in a block that was built about three years ago. At some point last summer, I began hearing a high-pitched/piercing sound coming through the wall. I wasn't about much and it went away in the autumn, so I thought nothing more of it.

It returned with a vengeance about a month ago and is connected with water usage in the flats above as it can be heard during the peak times for showering. The attached video was recorded in my service cupboard, looking up. (Ignore the banging sounds - that was roadworks.) As far as I can tell, the sound is emanating from the junction/splitter in the pipework. There is also an obvious vibration in the main pipe when the sound can be heard. I've taken a look in the service cupboards above and the neighbours haven't done anything to their pipework (installing a water filter or whatever) that would explain the sudden 'appearance' of the sound.

I'll be tasking the block management with fixing this since it's on the communal side of my stopcock, but I'd appreciate any views on the likely cause and solution so I can explain it to block management and get it fixed properly. I don't understand why water usage above would cause this particular pipe to vibrate/whistle as it isn't a waste pipe - the main pipe in the video runs to my stopcock - but there's probably an explanation for that.

Thanks!

Attachments

• vid-20200630-083348_JOisSvHc.compressed.mp4
    3.9 MB

Reply to Water pipe whistling in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock