Search the forum,

Discuss Water not always hot in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A bit of advice please. My water heating is fine if we are at home and use the system everyday. The water heats up at the correct time and to the temperatire required. If we are away for a couple of days however we only have warm water on our return. Basically the water is not being heated up unless it is being used. Any ideas please?!

If you left your programmer on auto for hot water and heating set your room stat to 20 and cyl stat to 60 does it work fine?

If yes, if you then went away for 2 days without touching anything does it stay the same?

If you left your programmer on auto for hot water and heating set your room stat to 20 and cyl stat to 60 does it work fine?

If yes, if you then went away for 2 days without touching anything does it stay the same?
It works fine apart from the hot water is very warm rather than hot. Start using the hot water and the next day it heats up fully.

A possible (contrived!) explanation - if your tank stat has developed a large hysteresis (difference between switch off and switch on temperatures), then maybe it doesn't click back on while you're away. When you're at home, running off hot water puts cold into the tank, the stat sees a large drop in temp and clicks in.
Only a thought, and only really relevant for a mechanical bimetallic stat! 🤔

A possible (contrived!) explanation - if your tank stat has developed a large hysteresis (difference between switch off and switch on temperatures), then maybe it doesn't click back on while you're away. When you're at home, running off hot water puts cold into the tank, the stat sees a large drop in temp and clicks in.
Yeah that has to be it. Hadn't even thought of that but makes a lot of sense.

Cyl stats are cheap as chips and easy to swap so its a good starting point

Thanks Basher. That could well be a possibility. I might try that. 👍

Reply to Water not always hot in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley warm air heating and hot water tank in airing cupboard. All has been working fine until yesterday. We had the water softener serviced and since then...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Hello everyone, I'm facing a rather complex situation and I need your expert advice. My neighbor and I share a boiler for hot water, and we have a single recirculation pump serving both of our homes. However, after the pump, the recirculation circuit splits into two separate branches, each...
Replies
Views
K
We have a dual heating system, a solid fuel stove with back boiler and a external kerosene heater. The kerosene heater is working fine heating the radiators and the water for the taps The solid fuel stove will heat the water for the taps but the radiators will only get luke warm. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Hi all. This ‘valve’ is at the bottom of our domestic hot water cylinder. Anyone have any idea what it is please? It must’ve been there for many years and seems to be leaking.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock