Search the forum,

Discuss water mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckley plumb

can anyone advise on the following . the landlord I do some work for owns a terrace hose - the mains stop tap is in the pavement infront of the house this enters under the front door and goes to 15mm copper this runs under suspended floor through to back living room in the screed floor into the screed floor in the kitchen - somewhere in this screed it tees and feeds into next door to supply them . the mains pipe has burst twice now on the lead by the front door as the fisrt 2 foot is lead - got water board to feed plastic into house from stop tap as alead change free and connected to the copper .the neighbour has refused to pay half to my landlord for the work .the question is in the future it the pipe ever bursts in the concrete floor before it feeds next door how do we stand as I could easily fit new pipe from mains into landlords kitchen running through house but would be unable to re connect it to next doors as it would mean destroying the floor and the family would not pay anything.we just need to know ready incase it does happen

Tell landlord to tell neighbour to contact water board for independent supply as he wants a water meter :)

Not your problem, let the landlord work it out. Unhelpfull but true.

water co won't install a meter on a shared supply normally unless both pay for new supplies!

why should the landlord I work for pay to supply their house if the mains bursts under his concrete floor - when I can just run new pipe in with min damage to décor . asked the 2 guys that come to replace the lead but they were not sure they thought next door would have to apply for independent supply also said if I run new pipe I would be disconnecting them and I was not allowed

your landlord is responsible for the joint supply, he took this on when he bought the house and its his problem, why are you worried. Of interest if you disconnect their supply you would be liable along with the landlord for damages etc to the neighbours.

your landlord is responsible for the joint supply, he took this on when he bought the house and its his problem, why are you worried. Of interest if you disconnect their supply you would be liable along with the landlord for damages etc to the neighbours.

not worried mate just intrested if I ever come across it anywhere else .so many terrace houses like this made me wonder my brother has similar set up in his house.

There are are number of things you can do. 1. talk to your waterboard they can advise you, but basically if there is a leak on the joint part of the service then your nieghbour is equally responsible to pay his share. If it leaks on his part only even if it is under your floor then he is wholly responsible. However this can cause problems! talk to Waterboard. 2. If there is no leak on the service at present then you can pay for a new tapping on the main and lay your own independant service and have a meter fitted if you want one and come off the existing. But this does leave your nieghbours pipe under your floor. Also the waterboard will ask you to cut off your part of the service as close as possible to the tee and this maybe not easy if under the conc floor. 3. Lastly and possibly the best and probably cheapest option is to ask your nieghbour if you can put in a new service for him. Lay two new pipes from outside in the front garden teeing into the existing service. One to yours and one to next door. The pipes are then new and there will be no problems. Also is it necessary to go right to the back of both houses? Is there any mains water to the front in a downstairs cloakroom etc. Next door may have suspended floors all the way to the back so a pipe can be laid with the minimum of disturbance to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water mains in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and screed floor. There is a gas servile pipe under the floor which enters the property below the joists at the front of the house and comes up under the...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
My living room smells like a sewer but I can't tell where it is coming from. Not sure where to start looking. The saniflo discharge pipe runs above but there is no sign of leakage on the ceiling. The main drain run from the manhole at the back runs under the kitchen, which has a solid floor...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the whole house is working as normal. Hot water is working as normal on the ground floor. However, there is no hot water to the first floor bathroom. This...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock