Search the forum,

Discuss water level in HWC after I drain the hot water taps/showers? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
This is my first post as a homeowner/DIYer
Hopefully the title explains my question ; I want to replace the washer on an Essex flange as the flange is leaking, and plan to use a plug to block the cold water tank , then open all the hot taps and showers until water stops flowing( standard gravity fed system)
I have included a photo of the tank showing the flange ;

DSC00011.JPG

2 shower heads are fed from the flange and pipes run up into the loft and down into the bathrooms;the showerheads sit above the level of the top of the hot water cylinder ; the hot water taps are all below the level of the top of the HWC.
I would value an opinion as to where the water level will be in the HWC when the taps/heads have stopped running?
Will all the water drain from the pipes leaving the HWC or not? If so , where is the water level likely to be in the HWC?
I know I have to drain the HWC to below the level of the flange ( with a drill pump as there is no drainplug on the HWC)I just want to be prepared when I undo the joint at the top of the tank!
Any advice and opinions welcome
thanks

Normally the cylinder is not worth repairing when they leak time for a change

But drain it from the Essex flange eg turn the gate valve off (cold water to the cylinder)

Turn the Essex flange gate valve off

Open the shower supplied by the pump

Undo the nut on the gate valve with a towel below just incase

Then use a hoselock adapter eg 1/2-3/4 and the 3/4 nipple onto the gate valve thread

Hose pipe on the end outside and open the gate valve

Hi Shaun
Thanks for the reply

I know a new tank is the best option but I want to try the easy option first as a new tank sounds a lot more complicated than trying to fix the leak at least for the time being as we plan to move house ( I would not be a rat and leave a leaking valve just to clear that up)

Your plan sounds good to me but I have a few questions;

I have had dodgy gate valves which leak after use so to avoid leaks , will using a monument expanding plug in the CWT do the same as turning off the valve at the CWT?

Do I still open all the hot taps to drain as much water as possible before opening the flange gatevalve nut?

Thanks

Yes and yes you can do

They have packing nuts on them as if they do leak a nip up should sort it

Hi
thanks again
Something strange has happened over the last few days
I have been putting dishes under the tank to collect water and for the last two days the amount of water leaking has reduced by at least half?
I think that the leak may be due to a fibre/cork? washer of the Essex flange which has started to disintegrate over time , anyhow i have not touched the joint but the leak has reduced ; I don't know why?

Scaled up should seal up aslong as it’s not disturbed

Has been leaking since about June! ( was a coward and waiting for wasps to die in the loft before going up to block the CWT!! which has now happened)
The rate of leak has been the same for all this time , about 2 litres a day caught by containers.until the last few days ; this morning seems virtually dry!!
Interesting you think scale as I live in N Ayrshire where the water is supposed to be v soft?

Reply to water level in HWC after I drain the hot water taps/showers? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a megaflo unvented indirect cylinder (125i) boiler is a Worcester greenstar. I have good pressure on the cold feed and all the usual stuff works, taps...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock