Search the forum,

Discuss water level changes significantly in expansion pipe (open vented system) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have made some adaptations to the layout of an existing open vented one pipe system. The pump is now some 6 or 7 metres away from the boiler. The cold feed is on the negative side of the pump as is the expansion pipe. The order of fixing is expansion pipe - cold feed - pump. When the pump stops around 400 ccs of water is dropped into the header tank. Is it normal for oscillations to occur in the expansion pipe on pump starting and stopping?

1. Do the cold feed and vent connect to the flow from boiler to pump within six inches of each other?

2, Is the top of the bend in the vent pipe at least 450mm above the tank's water level when hot?

If it’s dumping water when going off. It will be doing the opposite, when turning on, ( sucking) this will introduce air in the system. The vat and feed should be connected into the pipework correctly, to stop this.
there are a few ways of achieving this. But depends on you pipe layout

I have made some adaptations to the layout of an existing open vented one pipe system. The pump is now some 6 or 7 metres away from the boiler. The cold feed is on the negative side of the pump as is the expansion pipe. The order of fixing is expansion pipe - cold feed - pump. When the pump stops around 400 ccs of water is dropped into the header tank. Is it normal for oscillations to occur in the expansion pipe on pump starting and stopping?
Ok Bruce I think I get what you have done but put up a diagram of your system complete with your 'adaptions' please then we can all help you quick time
centralheatking

Ok Bruce I think I get what you have done but put up a diagram of your system complete with your 'adaptions' please then we can all help you quick time
centralheatking

I think the problem is rebound from the motorized valves opening and shutting. They are within 2 metres of the expansion pipe. Order of fitting on flow piping is: expansion - cold feed (within 6ins)-pump-motorized valves. I know nothing about motorized valves. The ones fitted are Honeywell (spring action). Is it possible to get valves that operate at a much slower speed (ball valves??) ? Slowing the operation down should cure the problem. Thanks.
[automerge]1575649952[/automerge]
1. Do the cold feed and vent connect to the flow from boiler to pump within six inches of each other?

2, Is the top of the bend in the vent pipe at least 450mm above the tank's water level when hot?

Thanks for this, but I think the problem is due to the motorized control valves operating quickly. They are within 2 metres of the expansion pipe. Is it possible to buy slow action valves?
[automerge]1575650190[/automerge]
If it’s dumping water when going off. It will be doing the opposite, when turning on, ( sucking) this will introduce air in the system. The vat and feed should be connected into the pipework correctly, to stop this.

Thanks for your reply. I think the problem is speed of operation of motorized valves which are within 2 metres. Is it possible to buy slow operating motorized valves - this should solve the problem.

Last edited:
My Honeywell valves are relatively slow in operation, 6 to 10 seconds in either direction. If you have a gas fired boiler then you may have pump overrun....the pump continues to run on for ~ 2 minutes so the water has to go somewhere, normally a Automatic bypass valve fitted between the flow and return, the ABV setting may be too high, sometimes the ABV is part of the boiler internal plumbing in which case you can't do anything about it. if a oil fired boiler then unlikely that a pump overrun is fitted. You might get someone to switch off both zones and watch/see if the pump runs on and for how long,

My Honeywell valves are relatively slow in operation, 6 to 10 seconds in either direction. If you have a gas fired boiler then you may have pump overrun....the pump continues to run on for ~ 2 minutes so the water has to go somewhere, normally a Automatic bypass valve fitted between the flow and return, the ABV setting may be too high, sometimes the ABV is part of the boiler internal plumbing in which case you can't do anything about it. if a oil fired boiler then unlikely that a pump overrun is fitted. You might get someone to switch off both zones and watch/see if the pump runs on and for how long,

Thanks I'll try that.

Reply to water level changes significantly in expansion pipe (open vented system) in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
… praying to the plumbing God, Bob Pictures and layout details attached, so be patient. 21 year old oil fired system in pretty good nick. I noticed some minor pumping over from the vent (occasional burst of water, and the odd dribble). Didn’t think much of it as I was about to replace the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Water is flowing through my central heating expansion pipe even when cold with the pump running. Hot water flows through it when the system is heated. Pump has been replaced but still happens
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock