Search the forum,

Discuss Water leaking from stopcock in house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ParaJack

Whilst in the kitchen at 20.00 tonight I heard a faint dripping or water, I located it to the mains stopcock which is behind the kitchen units (boxed in with a small hole to turn the tap on and off) I put my hand on the tap and it was soaking, after pulling out the kitchen units and pulling the boxed in part apart I was faced with the leak (see pic). I turned the tap off and the leak stopped.

Now I know it may just be a case of tightening the top where the pipes join, but as you can see it's old! So I'm worried that I may make it worse and I'll be unable to stop the water coming out.
So what is the best way to sort this? I have home emergency cover through my house insurance, so should I phone them first, or the water company, or just get a local plumber to look at it?

Either way I assume the best bet would be to replace the pipe and the tap with a new one, if so what sort of price will it be?

Thanks in advance.

1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 104
Last edited by a moderator:
Very poor photo, can only just make it out, it doesn't look that old.
Where is the water coming from ??

Last edited:
where exactly on the tap is the leak??
is it the gland nut or as you suggest the fitting nuts??
picture is a bit small, there is a lot of lead there, is it copper above the tap?

You've got insurance , use it fella it's what you're paying for simple really , might wanna think about renewing the mains though as they're lead

a plumber may renew the pipe if you ask, your insurance plumber wont

OK cheers for the replies guys, just been down and dried everything off and turned the tap on slowly, the water seems to be coming from the tap itself rather than any joints.

I phoned the insurance and they said I'm covered up to £500, nothing to pay by me not even an excess! it doesn't even go against my no claims as it's a separate policy, I said the leak has stopped so no need for a call out tonight, they said someone will phone me first thing in the morning and come out to fix it tomorrow...not bad for £4.99 a year :)

(Picture being made small once uploaded) This is the tap:

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 90
May not be a disaster. Probably the packing gland on the valve stem. Just requires repacking. That is a guess at most likely solution. Insurance will only pay out for damaged caused, not repair of cause.

Insurance will only pay out for damaged caused, not repair of cause.
lol I was thinking that, so just looked at the policy details:

No ringing around or out of hours rates to worry about – just a single phone call and we’ll arrange for emergency repairs from a reputable contractor subject to an overall limit of £500 (including VAT) for the call out charge and up to 2 hours labour, plus parts and materials up to a maximum of £100 (including VAT).

I'm no plumber, but I wouldn't think a tap would go over £100...or would it!!! :D

Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Just thought it only polite to give you an update, got a call about 30 mins ago saying "It's the plumber from Dynorod, I'll be there in 10 minutes". Sure enough he was true to his word, he's just left after replacing the tap :) All done and nothing to even sign...best of all pay! :)

Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it ;)

Attachments

• new tap.jpg
    new tap.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 72
Yeah, he said the washer or clip had probably split inside, so just as easy to put a new tap on.

OK cheers for the replies guys, just been down and dried everything off and turned the tap on slowly, the water seems to be coming from the tap itself rather than any joints.

I phoned the insurance and they said I'm covered up to £500, nothing to pay by me not even an excess! it doesn't even go against my no claims as it's a separate policy, I said the leak has stopped so no need for a call out tonight, they said someone will phone me first thing in the morning and come out to fix it tomorrow...not bad for £4.99 a year :)

(Picture being made small once uploaded) This is the tap:

A year or per month?

Nice to see it sorted out, sounded like a simple job but my goodness... the rest of that pipework is terrifying !

Yeah I asked him to check it out, as you can see it's the old lead pipe but he said it's solid enough and more importantly dry! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water leaking from stopcock in house in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock