Search the forum,

Discuss Water leak from toilet, water dripping from living room ceiling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I had a water leak in the toilet overnight, broken washer in the fixing, had a plumber come and fix it, but it was leaking probably a good 10 hours before I woke up to find toilet floor flooded out with about an inch of water, managed to stop additional leaking, but then all day water been dripping through the ceiling in the living room on 2 or 3 spots, out the light fixture and down one of the walls, I’ve now drilled a few holes and quite a bit of water came out that had clearly been pooling. Overall probably water been dripping onto the ceiling plasterboard and pooled water dripping for a good 20 hours or so.

I can’t see any sagging of the plaster, but obviously a few obvious wet patches in the ceiling now.

With it being so warm at the moment, I’m hoping it dries out in a few weeks and will be ok with minimum repair work needed, hoping I can spray stain sealer on it and repaint in about a month and all will be well.

Does anyone who has experience of this type of thing have any idea if a leak of that length of time, with that amount of water seeping through the plaster will damage the ceiling beyond repair or should it dry out in time and still be structurally sound. I know it’s probably impossible to answer without seeing it but any sort of rough idea would be good or any advice welcome.

Many thanks.

Reply to Water leak from toilet, water dripping from living room ceiling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

There's a leak in the ceiling of my Dad's living room which is on the ground floor and has a bedroom directly above it. There's an in-ceiling speaker where water was dripping from, and there were slower drips coming from a...
Replies
Views
Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some...
Replies
Views
Hey Guys I’ve noticed this weekend that my en-suite toilet pan water level is seeming to regress after an hour. Toilet flushes as normal and water levels are all fine in the cistern. If I flush the toilet and wait all looks fine. However after an hour the water levels have dropped by a couple...
Replies
Views
Heĺlo I have a water leak under bathroom floor tiles. It is on the hot water feed to the tap. I noticed the tiles leading to sink warm last few days. Now my radiators are not heating up because the hot water must be getting diverted to the tap. What are my options? Can I get house insurance...
Replies
Views
I have a growing damp patch on my ceiling, I initially assumed it must be from the empty flat above (and therefore cannot gain access), and have since used emergency cut off for that flat. I'm now wondering if it could a problem in my own flat, so cut a hole in the damp patch to investigate -...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock