Search the forum,

Discuss Water in tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have an unvented hot water system and water started leaking from the expansion vessel. I called a plumber and he came and replaced the the vessel but since then if i feel around inside the tundish it is wet, not dripping, just a bit wet inside towards the top and sometimes a little water falls when i touch it. Is this normal?
Also since, a couple of taps seem to be surging slightly and slightly under pressure.
Any help will be greatly appreciated

Was your plumber g3 registered? Was water coming through the tun dish before the expansion vessel was replaced?

The tundish (in normal operation) should be completely dry. If it is wet one of the relief valves is either lifting or passing.

It looks as if your plumber did not properly check over the system after replacing the expansion vessel. Or possibly used the T and P valve to depressurise the system and has not properly reseated it.

As referred to above the plumber needs to be G3 qualified

As Brambles rightfully says one one or both of the Temperature and Pressure (T&P) and Expansion Relief valves are not seated properly and passing a little water. Either because the expansion vessel is not properly charged with air or they are failing to seat after testing during the last repair.

The surging is caused by a different issue, poor flow of water through the Group Inlet (AKA "Combination Valve") usually because the strainer is becoming blocked. It can also be caused by the pressure reducing cartridge in the Group Inlet failing but in my experience that is unlikely.

Sorry to say this is not a DIY job and needs a competent G3 plumber to rectify as in the UK you must be qualified/registered to work on these cylinders. Other country's rules may differ on that though.

A good service is probably required. When was the last time it was serviced?

I think it's only been serviced once since it was installed 4-5 years ago. Several plumbers, including the one the changed the vessel, said it doesn't really need servicing. How do i find a decent plumber in my area that has g3?
CT15

They're supposed to be serviced every 12 months.
As for finding a decent plumber it's best to ask friends, neighbours, colleagues etc for a recommendation.
Or somebody on here may be close.

I think it's only been serviced once since it was installed 4-5 years ago. Several plumbers, including the one the changed the vessel, said it doesn't really need servicing. How do i find a decent plumber in my area that has g3?
CT15

Any plumber who says they don't need servicing is simply wrong I'm afraid. Every manufacturer of the cylinders I have fitted over the last 14 years states they need to be serviced annually and when you understand how one works it becomes obvious why they need servicing. Both for safety and performance reasons, not to mention keeping up the guarantee on the cylinder.

You could try posting here to find a plumber from the forums Looking for a Plumber? Post Jobs Here

The problems you are experiencing are not "major issues", although I suppose that is subjective but you can get this easily sorted with the right plumber working on it.

Reply to Water in tundish in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock