Search the forum,

Discuss water help no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi we have an issue with our heating and water system . new flow switch and new pump , system bled , all done by a professional but still no hot water or heating. when the plumber left yesterday we had boiling radiators and some hot water although the heating was switched off. my suspicion is diverter valve but unsure as to why nothing is working again now. boiler tries to kick in but says FD error (flow)

would be really happy for some advice as we have been 4 weeks without hot water no and the Mrs isn't happy.

thanks in advance
John

Hi John,

I suggest getting your professional plumber back if he/she has supposedly fixed it?

What boiler is it?

i tried that lol but they arent answering now or even rang me back. daft as they are local and installed the boiler 4 years ago. looks like weve had a pump for no reason too grrrr

Is it an ideal boiler? Which one? It's or a only 4 years old I'd expect it to still be under warranty. If not then perhaps give the manufacturer a call and ask about a fixed price repair.

it is an ideal so it must be 5 years as its just out of warranty, i dont think its the boiler as it was working again yesterday but couldnt switch heating side off without turning radiators off.

it is an ideal so it must be 5 years as its just out of warranty, i dont think its the boiler as it was working again yesterday but couldnt switch heating side off without turning radiators off.

Sounds like it could be your 3 port valve or even the programmer. Start with everything cold, put a call/demand for hot water and feel your pipe leading to the cylinder on 3 port (should be Port B). Now it probably won’t get hot as you said you don’t have hot water, then feel Port A side (heating) if this is hot then it’s more than likely 3 port being the issue.

Yeah I was typing my reply before you mentioned it was a heat only boiler. Why couldn't you switch the heating off? If the system was running when there was no demand, the first place I'd be looking is at the 3 port valve, unless there's a wiring fault, this is the only valve that can overide the controls and fire the boiler up

Also if you diagnose this to be the fault, either employ a different plumber or maybe even stat wher you are located and perhaps one of the fine chaps on here could help?

Yeah I was typing my reply before you mentioned it was a heat only boiler. Why couldn't you switch the heating off? If the system was running when there was no demand, the first place I'd be looking is at the 3 port valve, unless there's a wiring fault, this is the only valve that can overide the controls and fire the boiler up

all the controls were off for heating but it was still heating all the radiators. im going to have a quick look this afternoon see if i can see anything obvious especially on the 3 way valve. electrics out of my remit on controls really but these havent been touched other than the new pump being wired.

Ok here's where I'm at. Took the front off diverter valve and I can move the shaft left and right. Left motor off to see what happens with flow when I turn the valve. Nothing to the left and nothing to the right but in the middle heating and hot water.

Another follow up, water is flowing without the diverter head on and me set the pin to the middle, turned all the rads off to stop the flow around them. It will do temporarily until someone can come round or I'm sure it's diverter valve, thinking I need a complete valve assembly as I'm thinking it's breaking down a bit inside. But I'm not too confident draining the system.

Another follow up, water is flowing without the diverter head on and me set the pin to the middle, turned all the rads off to stop the flow around them. It will do temporarily until someone can come round or I'm sure it's diverter valve, thinking I need a complete valve assembly as I'm thinking it's breaking down a bit inside. But I'm not too confident draining the system.

It could be, but you’d be better someone else take a look. I’m surprised no one on here has been in touch.

Hopefully the diverter has been put on the correct way arround and wiring to the Clock is ok? With a 3 port Valve the cylinder stat can actually affect how it operates. I've had it where the heating stays on and only water. I'd be having all those checked

Hopefully the diverter has been put on the correct way arround and wiring to the Clock is ok? With a 3 port Valve the cylinder stat can actually affect how it operates. I've had it where the heating stays on and only water. I'd be having all those checked

Thanks
The wiring hasn't been touched, it's original valve and clock so my assumption is it's mechanical but I'm no heating engineer.

Good news is it's kicking in and out this morning still with top on motorised valve. I will clean the magna clean out again today and see how we go.

Thanks very much, going to try the original plumber as it's his responsibility really but if I have no joy I will message you.

Could anyone please confirm the drain down method, in my mind it's lock off the tank in the loft then turn on hot taps to drain down tank , when that's drained drain the hot water loop from the drain tap at boiler then hey presto should be clear to take off diverter valve.

Thanks very much, going to try the original plumber as it's his responsibility really but if I have no joy I will message you.

Could anyone please confirm the drain down method, in my mind it's lock off the tank in the loft then turn on hot taps to drain down tank , when that's drained drain the hot water loop from the drain tap at boiler then hey presto should be clear to take off diverter valve.
No need to drain hot water, your hot water and heating water are seperateted you'll have two tanks in the loft, close off the small one. Turn off power supply to boiler, open drain valve, wait for water to stop, then open bleeds on upstairs rads, wait for water to stop, then open bleeds on downstairs rads. Don't forget to add inhibitor back in the system when filling back up. Also check the condition of the water when you drain down. If it's mucky it might give a clue as to why your system is having issues

No need to drain hot water, your hot water and heating water are seperateted you'll have two tanks in the loft, close off the small one. Turn off power supply to boiler, open drain valve, wait for water to stop, then open bleeds on upstairs rads, wait for water to stop, then open bleeds on downstairs rads. Don't forget to add inhibitor back in the system when filling back up. Also check the condition of the water when you drain down. If it's mucky it might give a clue as to why your system is having issues

Thanks very much, got me head confused on the water heating loop lol. I'm happy doing that , I have drained the upstairs rads before do I have to drain the downstairs rads too?

Hi, the saga continues, plumber came back and put new diverter valve on, we have come back off holiday and no hot water, pump works diverter valve works , as said before new flow sensor fitted too, only thing I noticed when I cleaned magna clean is metal fragments attached , will try to add a picture. We are going to get a different plumber, could I be right in thinking all the pipes could be caked up in the fragments. We are at a loss now as the best route to follow as if my understanding is correct it's really just a simple flow circuit.

Attachments

• 1980582062_1_27.png
    1980582062_1_27.png
    718.1 KB · Views: 21
And have you checked your 3 port again? If that's coming out of your filter, could be blocking your 3 port :eek:
I tried the new 3 port on manual setting and that didn't help, also tried heating and that's not functioning although you can hear the valve motor move. I know is difficult to diagnose on the internet but it's doing is in. If I knew how I could flush it through I would try myself but other than that it's midweek untill we can get a new plumber out. There can't be much else in the system can there. Again I'm guessing but there must be a blockage somewhere. You can hear the water start to flow and you can feel it throughout the pipes to tank but I suppose that could be pump vibration.

Ok so you've tried 3 port in manual, are any pipes getting hot? Does the boiler fire up? Can you get hot water from immersion?

Nothing is getting hot , boiler won't fire just keeps coming up flow fault. I don't know if the emersion is still connected as I can see wires or where a heating element would be.

Did your plumber have to drain anything to change 3 port? If it’s a flow fault it could be the pump.

I presume I can wire in a Immersion heater, I'm just trying to find the length I can use. Attached image is my tank info.

Attachments

• IMG_20190803_204529_50.jpg
    IMG_20190803_204529_50.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 29

Reply to water help no hot water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock