Search the forum,

Discuss Water heater leak, is piping wrong? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I'm a renter of an apartment with a Viessmann Vitodens 222-w heater. I came back from a 1 week trip and my heater leaked into the ceiling of the apartment below me! I don't know what happened, but after some research, I suspect the heater wasn't installed correctly.

Here is a picture of the heater how it is currently installed and a picture with me pointing to where the leak is happening.
IMG_3735.jpg

When I look at diagrams of the installation of this heater, I don't see anything about this overflow pipe on the water intake. Also, the connection between the brass and grey pipe is not sealed. Here is another picture of how the heater is installed:
IMG_3736.jpg

What worries me the most is that may be other issues (problems with ventilation?) that could cause health problems to me and my wife. Any advice or thoughts on this situation would be a great help! Thanks!

- Ben

I believe, and stand to be corrected, that Viessmann can be piped with combined prv and condense??

It’s by no means the tidiest install but ive seen worse.

Do you have a current gas safety cert?? What makes you think the vent/flue has issues ? It’s a bit of a statement just to guess?

Is this install in the U.K.? I’m saying this cos The power socket doesn’t look like U.K. 3pin at all.
The viessmann 222-W is a storage combi so the grey pipe you point to is on the cold feed expansions relief valve, but it’s not like any combi valve I’ve ever seen, plus no tundish etc. I’ve not fit this particular boiler but I have fit it’s smaller brother the 111-W which is basically the same but a smaller store.
If there’s water coming from the grey pipe you point to you, the exp vessel may have lost its charge, you need an engineer with a g3 qualification to service it

correct lads (they are from Brussels)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Yes, I am in Brussels, but I don't speak very good French and my landlord is not the most helpful guy... I was hoping that it was something that could be easily fixed, but from your comments I guess I need to find an engineer that can deal with it.

If the problem is the exp vessel losing its charge, could that have just happened randomly while we were gone?

My comment about the vent/flue was just a guess out of fear (I do have a carbon monoxide detector, though).

I managed to fix the leak. The connection that I pointed to was missing a sealing rubber ring, so I just added one and the leak is gone. However, I'm a bit confused about the two valves that I circled in the picture below.

IMG_3739.jpg

When both valves are on (as seen in the picture), everything seems to work fine and hot water is flowing correctly, but I hear a constant sound of running water from the boiler (it never stops). Is this the correct configuration, and if so why the constant sound of flowing water? Also, why didn't this leak happen earlier if there was no rubber ring? Again, thanks for the help and sorry for being such a novice.

Blue top valve is that flowing into the grey pipe

If it is it shouldn’t be so need the services of a heating engy

Reply to Water heater leak, is piping wrong? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hi all, i need help to fix the leak from a pipe connected to the water pump via flexi pipe and it is feed from the immersion heater. I have emptied the water tank in the loft and also closed the main stopcock. still the leak is on - hoping it will eventually stop. I have not idea how the...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I've got a brand new (2nd hand) Bosch Hydropower 16H tankless hot water heater. Since it was installed I have noticed it leaks a lot. I took the cover off and it looks like the bottom part (water section?) is leaking in a couple of places. maybe a seal or diaphragm? Can it be repaired or...
Replies
Views
Hello. New here. I dont know nothing about boilers or plumbing. Just wondering any idea of cost or what the issue is. 15y old boiler, never had any issues apart from heater exchange smal leak 2y ago, BG changed whole heater exchange and some other small leaks. 2y later, now slow leak at bottom...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve gauge was going up when the water tank was switched on. My local plumber came and re-pressured the expansion vessel as it was flat, afterwards we tested...
Replies
Views
Hi we have an Ariston new europrisma 10 UR 3KW heater and it has started to leak from a hole that is covered with tape at the back of the heater. I have tried to find something that explains what this hole is but can't find anything. The heater has been in about 3-4 years and only started...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock