Search the forum,

Discuss Water Heater advice for Shepherds Hut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am building a Shepherds Hut that will be 16ft by 8ft. I want to fit it out with a shower/toilet room and kitchen area and will
require hot and cold water for the shower, bathroom basin and kitchen sink. What would be the most effective water heating setup to provide hot
water to the 3 outlets at an acceptable flow rate?

Details:
-Plumbed pipe distance between kitchen sink and shower = 5 meters minimum.
-Plumbed pipe distance between kitchen sink and bathroom basin = 4 meters minimum.
-Bathroom Basin and Shower are 1m apart.
-A 240v mains electricity supply will be coming into the hut.

Restrictions:
-Water heaters that store hot water would not be ideal as I want to save space and reduce weight in the hut.
-The heating device(s) can be located next to the kitchen sink or shower or both.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I really think this is a big project that requires a lot of thought and investigation which you probably won't get without paying for it. To be honest, I wonder whether this will be exempt from Building control or not?
A very brief reply is that if you won't accept any storage of hot water, then, unless you have mains hardwired, that pretty much rules out any electrical heating as a 16A caravan plug won't be enough for a shower or water heater plus usual power points, lighting etc, so you're in the realms of Morco, or similar, caravan bottled gas water heaters. I don't think the lengths of pipe runs are really of much concern, provided they are lagged, though it makes sense to have the water heater nearest to the tap that is used most frequently.

why don't you just go for a cold feed electric shower then use say a 9kw multipoint water heater for sinks?

why don't you just go for a cold feed electric shower then use say a 9kw multipoint water heater for sinks?
My thoughts are that if the OP is trying to claim the hut is portable, then it needs to be able to plug in. And 9kW is around 36A while a standard caravan blue plug is only rated at 16A, or was when I had one.
On the other hand, if the shepherd's hut is to be static, then it needs to meet building control requirements, and I don't think the weight will be an issue. In this case, though, I'd say your idea would work well.

Static caravans and residentials we build have 32amp supply usually sometimes 64 but really depends what the site have, electric showers still not ideal. Zip aquapoint water heaters are okay - 3kw, so can still have lights, sockets etc. Mains pressure and don't take up much room (wall hung) you'll need a competent person to fit one. I'm don't know about regs regarding gas in a shepherds hut specifically, someone lpg on here will know.

Hi
If it's mobile it should fall under the remit of caravan or mobile home, it static a residential park home, a wall hung lpg water heater is acceptable to building control and should suffice as long as installed by GSR with the relevant qualification, You would have to have it specified in terms of location supply etc by a GSR and preferably before you complete the build, you would need to pay particular attention to cylinder storage regulations if it is mobile, best to clarify with gas safe which category the project would fall under before installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water Heater advice for Shepherds Hut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock