Search the forum,

Discuss Water hammer with smart thermostatic valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have gradually fitted smart TRV's to all of the radiators in our house, and in general we are very pleased with them. However, it has become apparent that quite often, when the timing makes the TRV switch off, this sets off water hammer in that radiator. This is easily fixed by running a hot water tap anywhere, but it is a nuisance. It would appear that the pump doesn't like the sudden switch off - understandable but I am surprised that I can find no mention of this problem anywhere. It surely is quite (very?) common. And is there anything that can be done about it? Now we think we understand the issue we have arranged a sort of partial workround for the end of the day - ie the CH to close down in the evening at 9.45pm with the majority of the smart TRV's closing down at 10pm. But the whole idea of the system is to keep the CH early morning to night with the TRV's making the setup of each individual room much more flexible. It works well .... apart from this problem

Actually there is one radiator without a valve (in the bathroom). Thanks for this, but I don't think it is the problem - the noise has a tendency to occur in any of the radiators when the valve closes quickly ie when the timing instructs it to do so. Not inevitable, but pretty dramatic when it does. The instructions that came along with the smart TRVs makes no mention of this as a problem - and nor can I find any mention of the problem on the Net.

turning your hot water on means that the fault is on the try not being strong enough to withstand the pump so it is chattering, it won't be s sudden switch off it will be gradually as the motor turns it off so it will chatter until fully of if it doesn't stop you need a full new valve. also was the original body Bi-directional if not it will be on the wrong side, so either swap of fit new BI-directional valve

Reply to Water hammer with smart thermostatic valve in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in the main bathroom is opened and closed there are hammering sounds from the living room ceiling. It sounds like knocking. There's no hammering whilst...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock