Search the forum,

Discuss Water Hammer problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We have had a minor water hammer issue for years but it was never really a problem until the last year or so. It is so loud it sometimes make you jump, it's driving us crackers. It happens sometimes when we use the electric shower or washing machine but then it's not at it's worse. It never happens when we use our taps, flush the loo or use the hose.

It is ten times worse when there is nothing being used in my house but my neighbours seem to be active, we have an adjoining neighbour who is slightly higher up than us and another non adjoining neighbour slightly lower than us.

I fitted an arrester under my kitchen sink on what was the washing machine fill point (this now serves the outside tap and the washing machine is elsewhere). It is fitted about 6 foot from the stopcock. It has made absolutely no difference. Would fitting another on the washing machine point help? Is there anything else I can do?

Have you got a combi boiler for Hot water and is the heating system sealed?
Was it originally a conventional system with hot water cylinder and storage tank in the loft?
And is / was there also a small expansion tank in the loft for the heating?
Is there still a water supply into the loft which is now unused?
Or is there a water supply that is still in use or passes through the loft?
Do you have an unvented hot water cylinder?

We have a conventional system with hot water tank upstairs, there's a tank in the loft, haven't seen a small expansion tank and there's no unused water supply into the loft. I think it's a sealed system - there's two valves below the boiler to top the system up if the pressure get too low. Don't know if cylinder is vented.
The problem doesn't appear to be anything in my house it happens when we are not using anything including the heating.

Reply to Water Hammer problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock