Search the forum,

Discuss Water hammer noise from various appliances/taps around the house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A bit of background...house was built in 2000. Fitted with screw turn style taps, and washing appliances as new.

During our time here, improvements have been made to the house, but these improvements have caused banging issues. The first was the washing machine when stopping water flowing in. To help the issue I have two stopcock valves in the kitchen. One is located as the water pipe comes in, and the other after the water meter, about 40 cm's later. To improve the banging noise I turned down the second stopcock to reduce the flow into the house.

Since then a new toilet has been added to the upstairs toilet. This started the banging problem again, so I adjusted the stopcock again. This has worked to a degree, but the water flow into the house is now very poor. In other words don't bother running a shower if the toilet is being flushed etc.

In-between these times some of the taps were replaced and can now be quickly closed, again giving the banging noise effect at times. I can happily close them slowly, but the wife forgets!

Anyway, enough is enough and I want a better solution to this problem. So, am I looking at a pressure reducing valve to be added after one of the stop cocks, or/and do some water hammer arrestors need to be strategically added to the system?

Can anyone help with the information I have supplied?

Many thanks

I’ve installed them near the incoming mains and at the other side of the side, and both have worked.... as long as valves haven’t been isolated between them.

Reply to Water hammer noise from various appliances/taps around the house. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock