Search the forum,

Discuss water feed to a combi??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vic Cowell

hi folks i'm new to the forum, i'm not a plumber but joining pipes/tubes together does come into my area of specialization being a welder/fabricator, however rules&regs/recomended practice on domestic water systems don't though.
The thing is i've been to my uncles to replace a burst water pipe in his loft and noticed the float valve in the header tank is goosed, all conected but not letting any water out of the valve, and no water out of the hot taps unless there is water in the tank, but he's got a combi boiler! why would you feed a combi off a header tank??????????? this has got me well confused!

some early systems where tank fed as the installers where scared of damaging the originally installed system when converting over to a pressurised system
dont worry it confused me when first seen

Thanks for the reply, but it is definitly the feed to the combi.

Thanks stevew451
that makes sence as it is quite an old boiler.
as the header tank needs to come out to be cleaned and the float valve replacing, i'm thinking of doing away with the tank by basically conecting the inlet feed directly to the outlet, am i right in thinking the only problem i may have with this is the integrity of the hot water system and it being able to cope with the increase of pressure??

Be carefull Vic - does the system have a hot water cylinder that still gets hot ? If so then the cold water storage tank will be feeding it to usually supply the bathroom hot. The 'instant' hot water from the combi will be supplying the kitchen. Its a system that is fitted from time to time.

centralheatking

Be carefull Vic - does the system have a hot water cylinder that still gets hot ? If so then the cold water storage tank will be feeding it to usually supply the bathroom hot. The 'instant' hot water from the combi will be supplying the kitchen. Its a system that is fitted from time to time.

centralheatking

thanks for the info i will definitly check on that before changing anything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to water feed to a combi??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am reinstating an indirect hot water tank and have 2 cold water feeds coming into it from the same supply. One of the feeds has a float valve but what ever was on the other has been removed. Why would there be 2 feeds to the top of the tank? Can I blank one off and just use the float valve...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have a Kinetico 2020c HE Water Softener, fitted in 2008 in our loft to the cold water tank in a vented system with a conventional boiler. All good, was working fine. Recently our old Potterton Suprima conventional boiler packed up and we decided to change to a Vaillant EcoTec COMBI...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock