Search the forum,

Discuss Water damaged ceiling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone I am a self employed plumber working in Scotland, around 2 months ago I had disconnected a water tank up a loft. When I was draining the tank through the standing drain pipe a bit of water spilled because of the previous plumber who converted the heating side had disconnected the drain from the F&E tank and left it as an open end. Small amount of water dripped down for about 5 minutes. A week later I received an aggressive phone call stating the ceiling had fallen down so I offered to pay for any repairs but wasn't given the chance before the tenant had quotes from elsewhere so I offered to go through insurance and didn't hear any reply until the work was done and it was a bill that is exceptionally high for replacing a ceiling. I'm now getting threats via letters and phone calls for payment. Anyone had a similar experience or know what my options are.

I will also state I've not seen any proof this has even happened yet and not are not willing to give a breakdown of the bill

How ever careful you are sometimes accidents happen you should of got the repair sorted now your having to pay through the nose lesson learned. What's the excess on your insurance if the claim is more than that then pass your insurance details to the irate customer and let them deal with it . Kop

Probably not what you want to here - but did you tell them at the time what had happened - or did you just leave hoping for the best?

If you know that you have spilt water - particularly onto plaster board or lathe and plaster - deal with it immediately. Tell the customer what has happened, what you are going to do and the timescale it is going to take.

If you are culpable and the customer discovers the issue then undertakes the repair - you are always going to be on the back foot agreeing the cost

Probably not what you want to here - but did you tell them at the time what had happened - or did you just leave hoping for the best?

If you know that you have spilt water - particularly onto plaster board or lathe and plaster - deal with it immediately. Tell the customer what has happened, what you are going to do and the timescale it is going to take.

If you are culpable and the customer discovers the issue then undertakes the repair - you are always going to be on the back foot agreeing the cost
I told them it had happened but at the time there was no damage I thought I'd managed to get it all and then I did offer to get it repaired but was never given the chance

I am under the impression that. Legally you have to be given the chance to put the works right. If you have communications stating you were willing to fix and Didn’t get a response back and wasn’t given the chance to fix then surely that is on them and not you. Have have tried mediation.

Re read your post from a 3rd persons point of view ( like us reading your post )

Call you insurance company and explain the situation to them.

I wouldn't lie to them, but I would say after about 5 minutes you realized the drain from the F&E tank was leaking, and caused the damage.

Let them know you offered to inspect and assess the damage.
You also offered that if the damage was @ your excess you would pay for the repairs yourself.

You were never given the chance of inspecting, assessing or repairing the damage.

Let the Insurance Company deal with the rest.

The customer will have to present all the costs of repairs to your Insurance Company for any reclaim.
You will be up for your excess - bit that's life.

Request the customer gives all their details so you can proceed with the claim through your Insurance, fill out the forms and send them a copy.

If they are chancers, the problem may go away when they have to present invoices for repair costs.
But then again, it may not

Reply to Water damaged ceiling in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I am hoping that you can give us some advice. We're in the UK, and have contracted a company to completely refit the first floor bathroom. The first fix was completed a few days ago. We haven't moved in yet. When we returned to the property just now, the kitchen ceiling had caved...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Recently all the water tanks in the attic were disconnected to connect to the mains water supply (mine was already on mains but the other 5 flats in the building needed to be connected to mains water) and the company were also going to fit PRV's and isolation valves to the pipework...
Replies
Views
S
Had central heating installed 9months ago, came back this morning (after stopping at my partners lastnight) to water Soding out of my bedroom radiator, the pipe had literally dropped down and fell out of the connector going into the radiator. Should this repair be covered under the plumber who...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock