Search the forum,

Discuss Water Cylinder Leaking in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Firstly, apologies if this has been posted in the wrong section.

Been reading the forum for a while and had some good advice in the past. I have a Megaflo Eco Unvented Indirect Cylinder that has developed a small leak It is coming from what appears to be a blanking plug on a port that isn't used for the particular setup within my house.

Now, I'm a very experienced engineer but am aware of the rules and regs regarding working on gas heating systems and know that this is a job that would require a qualified heating engineer.

I just want some advice as to what would be required as I don't want to be ripped off or pay for unnecessary work. Would I be right in thinking that this is simply a threaded blank and what will be required is removal and re-install with PTFE tape? Or is it something more serious?

Any advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_8772.jpg
    IMG_8772.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 35
Is it the secondary return? You’ll need an engineer who has G3 qualification, this allows him to work on unvented cylinders.

Drain down

Ptfe / replace the oring then follow the mega flows instruction for refilling

You will need a person who has a G3 qualification to repair. It will take longer to drain down than repair.

Thanks for the input everyone. What kind of price would I expect to pay for a job like this ? Just after a ballpark figure as I know it will vary between companies etc.
[automerge]1585165579[/automerge]
Is it the secondary return? You’ll need an engineer who has G3 qualification, this allows him to work on unvented cylinders.
No, the secondary return is above on this model. The port in question is the sensor port/pocket.

Last edited:
They best way to not "get ripped off for in necessary work: is to get a recommendation (and remember most people in life aren't trying to rip anyone off) (I hope):)

Would I be right in thinking that this is simply a threaded blank and what will be required is removal and re-install with PTFE tape?
I think it's rather low to be a secondary return, looks like a 'pocket' for a temperature probe to me.

Either way, check with the manufacturer (Heatrae Sadia) whether it's covered by warranty. Megaflo's are expensive and shouldn't fail in that manner. The rust stains and corrosion suggest a manufacturing defect to me unless there is more to the story. They should also be able to provide or recommend someone to undertake the repair.

Afterthought / wild guess: Has the immersion heater element ever been replaced? If so, maybe the wrong type was fitted causing electrolytic action, which has eroded the fitting.

I think it's rather low to be a secondary return, looks like a 'pocket' for a temperature probe to me.

Either way, check with the manufacturer (Heatrae Sadia) whether it's covered by warranty. Megaflo's are expensive and shouldn't fail in that manner. The rust stains and corrosion suggest a manufacturing defect to me unless there is more to the story. They should also be able to provide or recommend someone to undertake the repair.

Afterthought / wild guess: Has the immersion heater element ever been replaced? If so, maybe the wrong type was fitted causing electrolytic action, which has eroded the fitting.
I have contacted the manufacturer but they will only attend and look at it if I pay their obscene call out charge (£250+ was quoted) then any labour on top of that if any work at all is required. I escalated this by making a complaint as this was noticed just out of warranty period (less than a month).

I've had the cylinder since new and nothing has been replaced on it. Only work that has taken place was swapping the flow and return to the correct connections as the original installer had cross piped the unit and it was making a terrible banging noise.

I have contacted the manufacturer but they will only attend and look at it if I pay their obscene call out charge (£250+ was quoted) then any labour on top of that if any work at all is required. I escalated this by making a complaint as this was noticed just out of warranty period (less than a month).

I've had the cylinder since new and nothing has been replaced on it. Only work that has taken place was swapping the flow and return to the correct connections as the original installer had cross piped the unit and it was making a terrible banging noise.
Dare I say that these cylinders should also have an annual service as with your boiler. I’m assuming untouched means never serviced?

Dare I say that these cylinders should also have an annual service as with your boiler. I’m assuming untouched means never serviced?

I did instruct a reputable (supposedly anyway) company to service the boiler and cylinder at 12 months old. Whilst the guy seemed to do a very thorough job on the boiler he literally just visually checked the cylinder over and re-set the air gap.

Reply to Water Cylinder Leaking in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock